Fujifilm's latest e-comics technology can now be experienced on the website!
“Manga Innovation” website is ready
Uploaded comic images can now be converted into eBook data and downloaded from site
January 10, 2013
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) has set up “Manga Innovation” website today that enables users over the internet to experience latest software technologies developed for the production of e-comics. Users can try out various technologies included in Fujifilm's eBook authoring software* “GT-EpubAuthor for Fixed Layout Ver.1.4” launched in December 2012.
e-comics is the driving force behind the Japanese domestic eBook market and is estimated to be 50 Billion Yen in the FY 2011 and is expected to grow steadily. The rapid rise in smartphones and tablets and the multi-device** ability of eBooks and the entry of Rakuten's Kobo and Amazon's kindle among others will further lead to further market activity. Some of the popular comics for young people have also been published in e-comics format and the size of e-comics market is expected to grow further.
The following two methods can be adopted to experience Fujifilm's latest e-comics production technology in the e-comics technology Demo page section of EPUB Manga Factory page of “Manga Innovation” website.
Methods for the use of “EPUB Manga Factory”
|1.Experience Using Own images
- Upload the available comic images to experience detection and identification of Frames/Balloons, and various effects of EPUB3
- The processed data can be converted into Fixed layout EPUB3*** eBook data and downloaded （Up to 5 images）
- The downloaded eBook data can be viewed on available reading system*4
|2.Experience Using Sample images
- We have kept a few sample images ready. Various technologies can be experienced similar to point 1 above, however the eBook in EPUB3 format cannot be downloaded
Fujifilm will continue to proactively develop software technologies and provide eBook technology that will enable ease in production, distribution and display of e-comics.
About the technology information website “Manga Innovation”
- 1. Site URL : http://mangainnovation.com/en/
- 2. Publish date : 10-Jan-2013 (Thursday)
- 3. Contents ：
- (1) Technology Demonstration “EPUB Manga Factory”
It is a web application wherein comic images available with you can be uploaded to experience Fujifilm's e-comics technology. You can convert the data into Fixed Layout EPUB3 format and download.
|Frame detection [GT-Scan] Balloon detection [GT-Balloon]
||Uses Frame auto detection technology [GT-Scan] and Balloon auto detection and the result is highlighted in the browser.
|EPUB format output [GT-EpubAuthor]
|Support for Global contents
||Frame/Balloon auto detection that supports Global contents that is horizontal and left side open.
|Frame zoom display/Frame sequence trace display [GT-Cut]
||Uses Frame zoom display on browser and trace display technology “GT-Cut” and does trace display on browser.
- * Moire is less while viewing on Displays, and we use our high compression image technology “GT-Quality”.
<Flow of EPUB Manga Factory Demo>
- 1) Click “Add Images” button to select and upload comic images.
Click “Upload” button to upload the images.
- 2) After upload select the effects. There are 5 types of effects as below. Refer to 3) below.
- Frame Highlight : The correctly extracted frame is displayed one at a time.
- Balloon Highlight : The correctly extracted balloon is displayed in pink color one at a time.
- Frame + Balloon Highlight : Frame and Balloon is displayed one by one in a sequence.
- Frame zoom : Frame is enlarged and displayed in the reading sequence. Area other than the displayed frame is blacked out and cannot be read.
- Trace (Trace View) : The comic image is moved and displayed as if the eye movement is traced while reading comics.
- 3) After that if “EPUB Download” button is clicked, the EPUB file download begins.
The Prince Sings Love Harumo Sanazaki2009/ohzora publishing co,.
- (2) Technology Demonstration “EPUB Manga Factory <<Trial version>>”:
The auto detection of Frame/Balloon is done based on a sample comic “Sang Sayur”( (C) Shirley Y. Susilo 2012/PT. Gramedia )provided by us and the result can be viewed with effects in a browser.
There are 5 types of effects as given above. The data in EPUB3 format cannot be downloaded.
- (3) Technology development background:
We will reply giving technology background to questions ranging from “Why is Fujifilm into comics?”
to internationalization support to adoption of EPUB format.
- (4) Introduction to related technologies:
The technologies related to e-comics that are used in website like GT-Scan, GT-Quality will be explained in detail.
- (5) Case studies:
We will introduce the case studies of companies that are actually using authoring software “GT-EpubAuthor for Fixed Layout” that supports EPUB3.
Top Page of Technology information Website “Manga Innovation”
- * Software that is able to edit, integrate all types of information.
- ** It will be possible to view on devices like smartphones and tablets in addition to special eBook reading devices.
- *** EPUB is international standard for eBook data that is based on standard Web technologies of HTML5 and CSS3. The trade and standards association for digital publishing IDPF has published EPUB3 with Japanese support and it is expected that the same will spread in Japanese market.
- *4 General term for iPhone/iPad, smartphone, or for book reader like Kindle, Kobo or a software that enables viewing on any device.
For enquiries on information in this media release, contact:
- Customer Contact:
- FUJIFILM Corporation
Industrial Product Division, Internet Business Group