The FUJIFILM X-T10: a stunning addition to the X series
May 18, 2015
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Shigehiro Nakajima) is proud to announce the launch of the FUJIFILM X-T10, the latest premium interchangeable lens model to join the world-renowned X-series digital camera line-up. Boasting outstanding image quality thanks to unique color reproduction technology, the new model, aimed at photography enthusiasts, combines a compact and lightweight body with a new AF system that excels at capturing moving subjects, as well as an electronic Real Time Viewfinder, which boasts an impressive 0.62x* magnification ratio, high-definition precision 2.36 million dot display and the world's shortest time lag of 0.005 seconds**.
The X-T10 features an APS-C X-Trans™*** CMOS II sensor with built-in phase detection AF. Coupled with a high-performance image processing engine and FUJINON lenses, the camera delivers excellent resolution and outstanding image quality, backed by unique color reproduction technology. The X-T10 uses a new AF system. This offers Fujifilm's conventional 49-point AF mode for high speed and precision focusing, as well as new Zone and Wide/Tracking modes that track subject movement across a larger 77-point area, substantially improving the camera's ability to capture moving subjects. Combined with the AF-C capability and the continuous shooting speed of up to 8.0fps*4, the camera delivers the high quality images that have become synonymous with the X Series, across a broader range of photographic situations.
Key features of the FUJIFILM X-T10
(1) All-new design packs X Series' operability into a compact and lightweight body
The design of the compact and lightweight body bears all the hallmarks of an X Series camera. Both top and base plates are made of lightweight, but highly rigid, magnesium alloy. The top plate features three precision-milled aluminum dials which give the X-T10 a premium feel and allow users to intuitively adjust the combination of aperture, shutter speed and shooting functions while concentrating on picture taking. Additionally, the back panel has a 3-inch 920K-dot tilting LCD monitor suitable for both above head and close to the ground shooting. Two color options will be available: Black and Silver.
- It is also equipped with an Auto Mode Switch lever for selecting the fully-automatic Advanced SR Auto mode. In this mode, the camera automatically chooses the optimum settings for a given scene to make shooting effortless.
- Each of the two command dials and seven function buttons featured can be customized so that you can tailor the camera to your needs.
- The body also features an integral pop-up flash, positioned in the center of the top plate. The built-in Super Intelligent Flash automatically adjusts light output according to the scene type.
(2) Real Time Viewfinder
With a magnification of 0.62x and a display lag time of just 0.005sec, the X-T10 has a large, fast viewfinder. It offers a clear, high-definition live view thanks to the new 2.36million-dot organic EL electronic viewfinder, plus visibility has been improved by automatically controlling finder brightness according to the ambient light levels. The live view display can also be set to the “Preview Pic Effect” option to reflect the shooting conditions and offer a natural view close to that of the naked eye. The viewfinder's eye sensor will also automatically orientate the information when the camera is positioned vertically; something that's not possible on models with optical viewfinders.
(3) The X-Trans™ CMOS II Sensor and EXR Processor II engine combine to deliver outstanding image quality and high speed performance
The camera features Fujifilm's APS-C 16.3 megapixel X-Trans™ CMOS II sensor. Its unique, random color filter array reduces moiré and false colors without having to use an optical low pass filter. The elimination of the low pass filter, which compromises image quality, means a greater amount of light reaches the sensor. Combined with the EXR Processor II image processor, the sensor delivers outstanding resolution and low noise.
- Fujifilm combined the processor's noise reduction function with the technology for mounting circuit boards to reduce noise in high sensitivity images. This has enabled the ISO setting of up to 51200*5. Even at an ultra-high sensitivity, the camera produces low noise and strong blacks, thereby broadening photographic potential in low light conditions.
- The camera features the unique Lens Modulation Optimizer (LMO)*6 image processing technology to deliver the best possible image quality. Using optical performance and other characteristics of each lens, LMO corrects optical defects such as diffraction*7 to achieve edge-to-edge sharpness and a realistic three-dimensional effect.
- The unique on-sensor phase detection AF system focuses in an ultra-fast 0.06 sec*8 With the high-speed EXR Processor II image processor, the camera starts up in just 0.5sec*9, has a shutter time lag of 0.05sec and shooting interval of 0.5sec*10.
(4) New AF system with Zone and Wide/Tracking modes for effortless capture of moving subjects
- The new AF system offers the standard 49-point Single Point mode for high speed and precision focusing, as well as the new Zone and Wide/Tracking modes that use a larger 77-point area to capture moving subjects.
- Zone mode allows users to select a 3x3, 5x3 or 5x5 zone out of the 77-point AF area. During AF-C focus, the camera continually tracks a subject, positioned at the center of the zone. The centrally positioned 3x3 and 5x3 zones, in particular, delivers fast focusing thanks to the on-sensor phase detection AF.
- The Wide/Tracking mode is a combination of the Wide mode (during AF-S), in which the camera automatically identifies and tracks the area in focus across the 77-point AF area, and the predictive Tracking mode (during AF-C), which uses the entire 77-point area to continue tracking a subject. This feature enables continuous focusing on a subject that is moving up and down, left and right or towards and away from the camera.
- The Single Point mode divides the focus area into smaller sections to accurately determine the distance to the subject for greater focusing precision. The working range of the on-sensor phase detection AF has been improved from 2.5EV to 0.5EV so phase detection AF works at high speed even in low light conditions or on a low contrast subject.
- The camera features Eye Detection AF, which automatically detects and focuses on human eyes. The function allows you to easily focus on the eyes even in difficult conditions – when shooting a portrait with a very wide aperture to obtain strong bokeh effects, for example.
- The Auto Macro function automatically activates the Macro mode while maintaining AF speed, eliminating any need to press the Macro button to capture a close-up. This allows you to re-assign the Macro button to a different function.
- The optimized algorithm delivers a smoother and more natural AF action during video recording.
- With the combination of the phase detection AF data and subject motion predictive AF, the camera is capable of continuous shooting with AF-C at up to approx. 8.0fps.
(5) 18 high-performance FUJINON X-mount lenses that deliver premium image quality and expand the scope of photography
The very latest digital technologies have been used to develop X-mount lenses, which offer high-precision optical designs to deliver the highest possible image quality. When designing the lens range, the aim was to achieve edge-to-edge definition for high-resolution imagery across the entire frame and offer the brightest possible maximum aperture for maximum creativity, while maintaining a compact and portable size. The current line-up of 18 lenses ranges from ultra wide-angle to telephoto, including five fast aperture prime lenses. These lenses bring out the very best image quality from the X-T10. Optional accessories such as mount adapters and macro extension tubes further broaden photographic potential.
(6) Perfect your photos with Film Simulation modes and other creative features
Fujifilm's unprecedented image quality has been created through 80 years of development of photographic films. This technology helps the camera to reproduce warm skin tones, bright blue skies and rich green trees, just as photographers remember the scene. The X-T10 features the latest CLASSIC CHROME Film Simulation mode, which delivers muted tones and deep colors. Users can choose from ten other modes that simulate the effects of traditional Fujifilm films. These include color reversal film effects (VELVIA/PROVIA/ASTIA), professional color negative film (PRO Neg.Std / PRO Neg.Hi), monochrome filters (MONOCHROME, Ye filter, R filter and G filter) and SEPIA.
Advanced Filter functions are also available on the X-T10. Users can choose from eight different artistic effects:
Pop Color - Emphasizes contrast and color saturation.
Toy Camera - Creates shaded borders as if you were taking a photo on a toy camera.
Miniature - Adds top and bottom blur for a diorama or miniature effect.
Dynamic Tone - Creates a fantasy effect by boosting tones.
Partial Color - Retains one selected original color and changes the rest of the photo black & white. Colors can be selected from red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple.
High Key - Enhances brightness and reduces contrast to lighten tonal reproduction.
Low Key - Creates uniformly dark tones with few highlight areas.
Soft Focus - Creates a look that is soft throughout the whole image.
- The Multiple Exposure function offers users the chance to combine two separate subjects into one photo, perfect for adding people into photos.
- The camera's aspect ratio can be selected from 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1 (square) to accommodate a wide range of photographic styles.
- The camera also features an ADVANCED SR AUTO mode, which recognizes faces and every scene type to automatically optimize the focus, exposure, ISO and other settings.
- Interval timer shooting for time lapse photography is available with intervals of one second to 24 hours and up to 999 frames.
- A completely silent electronic shutter that is capable of exposures up to 1/32000sec. has been added. Photos with a shallow depth-of-field can now be shot with the aperture wide open on snowy fields or the beach under clear skies. As there are no mechanically operated parts, candid shots of animals and sleeping babies can be captured more easily than ever before.
- Other features include the Digital Split Image for precise manual focusing, and Focus Peaking, which highlights high-contrast areas of the subject's outlines. These areas can be highlighted in white, red or blue, providing a focusing guide even when photographing a scene that's tricky to focus on.
(7) Full HD video with the X-Trans™ CMOS II sensor
- 60fps smooth Full HD movies can be shot with the X-T10. 50fps, 30fps, 25fps and 24fps frame rates are also available.
- Film Simulation modes, including the latest CLASSIC CHROME, and detailed white balance setting is also possible.
- Manual exposure can also be set during movie shooting. Aperture, shutter speed*11 and ISO sensitivity can be changed enabling movies to be shot using an exposure of the user's preference.
- High-speed, high-precision focusing is made possible by activating Intelligent Hybrid AF, which switches between phase-detection AF and contrast AF according to the scene, even during movie shooting. Manual focus is also possible.
- Six types of scene recognition functions can be used, or it can be left up to the camera to capture beautiful movies.
- A high bit rate of 36Mbps enables high definition capture of delicate movements.
(8) Built in Wi-Fi for shooting from your smartphone or tablet devices*12.
- By downloading the free “FUJIFILM Camera Remote” app to your smartphone or tablet device, users can use the Remote Control function, which allows a wealth of control, even from a distance. This functionality is great for a wide variety of shots, including group photos, self-portraits and animals in their natural habitat.
- Photos and videos can be sent to devices such as your smartphone with an easy one-touch operation. Pictures and videos on the camera can be browsed, selected, and imported using your smartphone, all without the hassle of inputting an ID or password. It is also possible to add location information acquired by the smartphone or tablet to the image.
- Photos can be sent directly from the camera to the Instax SHARE Smartphone Printer for instant Instax prints.
- Wi-Fi® Transfer*13 is supported, enabling wireless backup of the data to a computer*14.
(9) Premium accessory line-up
A stylish, authentic leather case that has a wonderfully tactile feel and perfectly suits the X-T10's classic design. With the X-T10 snugly protected, you can even change batteries without removing the camera. A matching leather shoulder strap and protective cloth are included.
To increase the camera's grip. Both battery and memory card can be swapped with the grip in place. Additionally, a tripod screw hole can be placed in center of the optical axis and the base parts are equipped with a 38mm width dovetail protrusion plate, allowing use as a quick shoe mount when using a dovetail groove tripod pedestal.
- M Mount Adapter for additional lens compatibility
- Macro Extension Tube MCEX-16/MCEX-11
Two tubes (16mm and 11mm) are available for fitting between the camera body and an interchangeable lens to enable high magnification macro photography.
There are three types of Fujifilm external flash, all of which are capable of high-precision TTL auto flash control. The EF-20 and EF-X20 both have a guide number of 20, while EF-42 has a guide number of 42.
- External Stereo Microphone MIC-ST1
Make realistic voice recordings for your high-quality Full HD videos.
- Protector Filters (PRF-39, PRF-52, PRF-58, PRF-62, PRF-67, PRF-72 and PRF-77)
- DC coupler CP-W126
- AC adapter AC-9V
- Remote Release RR-90
- * Market leading viewfinder magnification ratio. Approx. 0.62x magnification 50mm (35mm format equivalent) at infinity and diopter set to -1.0 m-1.
- ** Fujifilm research as of April 2015.
- *** X-Trans is a trademark or registered trademark of FUJIFILM Corporation.
- *4 In CH mode, focus area is limited inside of central 3x3 in Single point and 5x3 in Zone and Wide/Tracking.
- *5 Extended output sensitivity.
- *6 Unique signal processing technology that reproduces the sharpness of images blurred by diffraction, etc.
- *7 When a fine image that should be sharp is blurred when using a stopped down the aperture.
- *8 Fujifilm research based on CIPA guidelines using the X-T10 equipped with XF16-55mmF2.8 R LM WR lens in High Performance mode as of April 2015.
- *9 Equipped with XF27mmF2.8 lens in High Performance mode.
- *10 MF mode.
- *11 Aperture and shutter speed can be changed during shooting. Only shutter speeds faster than the set frame rate can be set.
- *12 Android™, smartphone and table devices, iPhone / iPad.
- *13 Wi-Fi® is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance®.
- *14 Requires advanced installation of the free dedicated software FUJIFILM PC AutoSave to your computer.
For inquiries on information in this media release, contact:
- Media Contact:
- FUJIFILM Corporation
Corporate Communications Div.
- Customer Contact:
- Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following URL.