Please read the followings and update the firmware.
- · Please read this update after refreshing this page.
- * In case of Windows (Internet Explorer / FireFox / Google Chrome), hold down the "Control" key and "F5" key.
- * In case of Macintosh (Safari / Google Chrome), hold down the "Command" key and "R" key.
- * In case of Macintosh (FireFox), hold down the "Command", "Shift" and "R" keys at same time.
- · The firmware upgrade is not required if its version is 4.00.
- * Refer to "2) Firmware version checking procedure" in the "Detail of firmware update steps" below to check the firmwawre version.
- · Update from Ver.1.00 requires the procedure below.
- 1. Before the update, execute SET-UP > RESET > SHOOTING MENU RESET and SET-UP RESET.
- 2. Update the firmware in line with "Detail of firmware update steps".
*The update from Ver.1.00 induces SET-UP > EVF/LCD SETTING to be set to "EVF".
- 3. After the update, execute SET-UP > RESET > SHOOTING MENU RESET and SET-UP RESET again.
- · Please use your camera and lens with the latest version of firmware.
(If you don't use them with the latest version, you may not enjoy their full performance.)
Detail of the update
The firmware update Ver. 4.00 from Ver.3.10 incorporates the following issues:
- For detail about functions marked with (*), refer to "X-E2 Onwer's Manual".
- < Note >
The settings of items below before the firmware version up are not stored and set to default.
ISO / FILM SIMULATION / FILM SIMULATION BKT / SELECT CUSTOM SETTING > ISO , FILM SIMULATION / MOVIE MODE / EVF BRIGHTNESS / LCD BRIGHTNESS / Fn (Function) BUTTON SETTING and so on.
- 1. New AF System
- (1)New AF system with Zone and Wide/Tracking modes for effortless capture of moving subjects. (*)
The AF System complements the fast and accurate 49-single-point autofocus system with new Zone and Wide/Tracking modes, which use 77 autofocus points across a wider area to substantially improve the camera's ability to capture moving subjects.
- (2)Improvement of AF accuracy.
Single-point AF divides the focus area into smaller sections to more accurately determine the distance to the subject for even greater focusing accuracy. The built-in phase detection pixels have the detection range of 0.5EV, an improvement from the previous 2.5EV, delivering phase detection AF performance that enables fast focusing in low-light conditions and on low-contrast subjects.
- (3) Eye Detection AF. (*)
The firmware update provides Fujifilm's Eye Detection AF, which automatically detects and focuses on human eyes.
The function allows you to easily focus on the eyes even in difficult conditions, e.g. when shooting a portrait wide open to obtain a beautiful bokeh background.
- (4)Auto Macro mode. (*)
The firmware update introduces the Auto Macro function, which automatically switches the camera into the Macro mode while maintaining the conventional AF speed. You no longer have to press the Macro button to initiate a close-up shot. This update eliminates the Macro function assigned to the Macro Button, allowing you to assign a different function to the button.
- (5)AF improvement in the Movie mode.
The optimized algorithm delivers a more natural and smooth AF action during movie recording.
- 2. Function enhancements
- (6)High-speed electronic shutter with a maximum speed of 1/32000sec. (*)
The FUJINON XF Lens series lineup includes a number of fast fixed focal length lenses which boast very high sharpness with the aperture wide open, producing excellent out of focus "bokeh". However, fast apertures are difficult to use if the light is too bright, so to ensure users can create shallow depth-of-field effects, the camera is now equipped with a fully electronic shutter offering a maximum shutter speed of 1/32000sec. The mechanical shutter will not operate at all when any speed for the electronic shutter is selected, which also delivers a completely silent shooting experience; perfect for shots of sleeping children, pets, weddings, and more. In addition, it is possible to set the electronic shutter in 1/3 steps from a range of 1sec to 1/32000sec.
Notes1: Shutter Sound
The shutter sound can be muted if desired. Use the new "SHUTTER SOUND" and "SHUTTER VOLUME" options in the setup menu to choose the type and volume of the sound made when the shutter is released.
Notes2: The Electronic Shutter may not be suitable for fast-moving objects. Flash can not be used.
- (7)White Balance Bracketing. (*)
Just fire the shutter once and capture the same scene at your selected white balance setting plus one frame at a warmer and another at a cooler color temperature. White Balance bracketing can be set in ±1, ±2 and ±3 steps.
- (8)Enhanced ISO Auto Setting to AUTO1/AUTO2/AUTO3. (*)
You can use three ISO Auto setting AUTO1/AUTO2/AUTO3 in menu.
- (9)Exposure Compensation control in Manual.
You can use the Exposure Compensation dial to make exposure adjustments while shooting in the Manual exposure mode with the ISO Auto setting.
- (10)Natural Live View function is just like the naked eye. (*)
One of the great benefits of an electronic viewfinder is that 'what you see is what you get'; the final image is displayed in real-time so any Film Simulation modes or other effects can be checked while shooting. But users sometimes need to see colors close to how they're viewed with an optical finder, or to focus on shadow detail, which some high-contrast effects block out. To aid this, the Natural Live View function has been added and, when "PREVIEW PIC. EFFECT" is turned Off in the menu, an image close to the naked eye is displayed during live view.
- (11)Finer lines on the framing grid enhances visibility
The lines on the framing grid, which you can choose to display in the Screen Set-Up menu, have been made finer making it easier to view the subject.
- (12)New Video Frame rates (50P / 25P / 24P). (*)
As well as the existing 60fps and 30fps selections, 50fps, 25fps and 24fps options will be available with the update. 50fps and 25fps allow video editing in the PAL regions, such as Europe, without converting the frame rate. 24fps offers a cinema-like view.
- (13)Manual Shooting in Video mode. (*)
The update will enable ISO sensitivity selection prior to shooting videos, as well as the ability to adjust aperture and shutter speed during movie recording.
- (14)Phase detection AF support for Instant AF. (*)
In Instant AF mode, which is operated by pressing the AF-L button during manual focusing, the update will enable Phase Detection AF, providing faster focusing speeds.
- (15)Expansion of shutter speed in Program Shift mode. (*)
In the current Program Shift mode, the slowest-speed setting is 1/4sec, but this will increase to a maximum of 4secs.
- 3. Operability improvements
- (16)The new user interface.
The new user interface has been designed with particular attention paid to the size and layout of displayed settings.
This allows you to concentrate fully on shooting through the viewfinder.
- (17)Improved Shutter Speed Dial operation. (*)
When the Shutter Speed Dial is set to T and the Shutter Type to Mechanical + Electronic, you can use the command dial to set a full range of exposure times from 30-1/32000sec. Previously, this was limited to 30-2 seconds. This means you can change the shutter speeds across a broader range without having to change camera position.
- (18)Name of Silent mode changed to avoid confusion. (*)
The Silent Mode has been renamed to "SOUND & FLASH ".
- (19)Direct selection of AF area. (*)
The update will let users select the focus area using the 4-way selector buttons, without pressing the Fn key.
- (20)Unlocked AE-L / AF-L Buttons. (*)
The function of the AE-L / AF-L button is currently locked, but will be interchangeable, depending on the user's preference.
- (21)Variable Focus Area during MF. (*)
When working in Manual focus mode, the update will enable changing the size of the focus area during Instant AF with the AF-L button.
- (22)Q. Menu customization. (*)
To make the Q Menu (used for quick access of frequently-used items) even more efficient, the update will allow its items and layout to be changed to the user's preference.
- (23)Interlocking of Metering and Focus areas. (*)
Users will be able to interlock the AF area position with the Metering area when Spot Metering mode is selected.
- (24)Movie Recording. (*)
Movie recording starts by pressing a function button not the shutter button. "MOVIE" in DRIVE options is eliminated.
- 4. Other changes with the update
- (25)Supports focus limiter function for XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR.
To be fully compatible with the lens, the new firmware supports focus limiter function for FUJINON XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR.
- (26)"BACKGROUND COLOR" menu.
"BACKGROUND COLOR" menu in "SCREEN SET-UP" menu is eliminated.
- (27)The maximum number of images taken in the continuous shooting mode.
JPEG in High-speed continuous shooting mode: approx. 28 images ⇒ approx. 18 images RAW in High-speed and Low-speed continuous shooting mode: 1 or 2 less images than before the update.
Firmware update history(up to version 3.10)
Firmware update steps
Summary of firmware update steps
- 1. Check the firmware version.
- 2. Prepare a formatted memory card.
- 3. Download the firmware and copy it to the card.
- 4. Put the memory card with the firmware in the camera and update it.
Detail of firmware update steps
Please refer to the steps below about necessities and steps for firmware update.
- 1.If firmware updating fails, the camera may no longer operate correctly in some cases. Carefully read the notes provided here.
- 2.Always use the fully-charged battery when updating the firmware as a basic manner. Never turn the camera off or attempt to use any of the camera controls while the firmware is being overwritten.
- 3.You can update the firmware from old version directly to the latest one.
- 4.Firmware updating requires approximately 90 seconds.
- 5.Once the firmware has been updated, some data of the previous version cannot be restored.
- 6.Please check here if you encounter any problems.
Please read this Agreement carefully before downloading this upgraded version software ("FIRMWARE"). By downloading FIRMWARE, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms of this Agreement. If you do not agree to the terms of this Agreement, you are not authorized to download FIRMWARE.
Article 1. License
FIRMWARE is the upgraded version of software that FUJIFILM Corporation. ("FUJI") already distributed to you included with FUJI's product(s) ("ORIGINAL FIRMWARE"). All copyrights and other proprietary rights to FIRMWARE are retained by FUJI, and nothing contained herein shall be construed, expressly or implicitly, as transferring or granting to you any right, license, or title unless otherwise explicitly granted under this Agreement.
Article 2. NO Warranty
FUJI EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY FOR SOFTWARE. SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT, PATENT, TRADE SECRET, OR ANY OTHER PROPRIETARY RIGHTS OF ANY THIRD PARTY. IN NO EVENT SHALL FUJI BE LIABLE FOR ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR OTHER DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE SOFTWARE.
Article 3. Restrictions
You shall not, or shall not have any third party, reverse-engineer, decompile, or disassemble FIRMWARE.