The firmware update Ver. 4.00 from Ver.3.10 incorporates the following issues:
For detail about functions marked with (*), refer to "X-E2 Onwer's Manual [Ver.4.00]".
X-E2 Onwer's Manual [Ver.4.00]
- < Note >
The settings of items below before the firmware version up are not stored and set to default.
ISO / FILM SIMULATION / FILM SIMULATION BKT / SELECT CUSTOM SETTING > ISO , FILM SIMULATION / MOVIE MODE / EVF CRIGHTNESS / LCD CRIGHTNESS / Fn (Function) BUTTON SETTING and so on.
- 1. New AF System
- (1)New AF system with Zone and Wide/Tracking modes for effortless capture of moving subjects. (*)
The AF System complements the fast and accurate 49-single-point autofocus system with new Zone and Wide/Tracking modes, which use 77 autofocus points across a wider area to substantially improve the camera's ability to capture moving subjects.
- (2)Improvement of AF accuracy.
Single-point AF divides the focus area into smaller sections to more accurately determine the distance to the subject for even greater focusing accuracy. The built-in phase detection pixels have the detection range of 0.5EV, an improvement from the previous 2.5EV, delivering phase detection AF performance that enables fast focusing in low-light conditions and on low-contrast subjects.
- (3) Eye Detection AF. (*)
The firmware update provides Fujifilm's Eye Detection AF, which automatically detects and focuses on human eyes.
The function allows you to easily focus on the eyes even in difficult conditions, e.g. when shooting a portrait wide open to obtain a beautiful bokeh background.
- (4)Auto Macro mode. (*)
The firmware update introduces the Auto Macro function, which automatically switches the camera into the Macro mode while maintaining the conventional AF speed. You no longer have to press the Macro button to initiate a close-up shot. This update eliminates the Macro function assigned to the Macro Button, allowing you to assign a different function to the button.
- (5)AF improvement in the Movie mode.
The optimized algorithm delivers a more natural and smooth AF action during movie recording.
- 2. Function enhancements
- (6)High-speed electronic shutter with a maximum speed of 1/32000sec. (*)
The FUJINON XF Lens series lineup includes a number of fast fixed focal length lenses which boast very high sharpness with the aperture wide open, producing excellent out of focus "bokeh". However, fast apertures are difficult to use if the light is too bright, so to ensure users can create shallow depth-of-field effects, the camera is now equipped with a fully electronic shutter offering a maximum shutter speed of 1/32000sec. The mechanical shutter will not operate at all when any speed for the electronic shutter is selected, which also delivers a completely silent shooting experience; perfect for shots of sleeping children, pets, weddings, and more. In addition, it is possible to set the electronic shutter in 1/3 steps from a range of 1sec to 1/32000sec.
Notes1: Shutter Sound
The shutter sound can be muted if desired. Use the new "SHUTTER SOUND" and "SHUTTER VOLUME" options in the setup menu to choose the type and volume of the sound made when the shutter is released.
Notes2: The Electronic Shutter may not be suitable for fast-moving objects. Flash can not be used.
- (7)White Balance Bracketing. (*)
Just fire the shutter once and capture the same scene at your selected white balance setting plus one frame at a warmer and another at a cooler color temperature. White Balance bracketing can be set in ±1, ±2 and ±3 steps.
- (8)Enhanced ISO Auto Setting to AUTO1/AUTO2/AUTO3. (*)
You can use three ISO Auto setting AUTO1/AUTO2/AUTO3 in menu.
- (9)Exposure Compensation control in Manual.
You can use the Exposure Compensation dial to make exposure adjustments while shooting in the Manual exposure mode with the ISO Auto setting.
- (10)Natural Live View function is just like the naked eye. (*)
One of the great benefits of an electronic viewfinder is that 'what you see is what you get'; the final image is displayed in real-time so any Film Simulation modes or other effects can be checked while shooting. But users sometimes need to see colors close to how they're viewed with an optical finder, or to focus on shadow detail, which some high-contrast effects block out. To aid this, the Natural Live View function has been added and, when "PREVIEW PIC. EFFECT" is turned Off in the menu, an image close to the naked eye is displayed during live view.
- (11)Finer lines on the framing grid enhances visibility
The lines on the framing grid, which you can choose to display in the Screen Set-Up menu, have been made finer making it easier to view the subject.
- (12)New Video Frame rates (50P / 25P / 24P). (*)
As well as the existing 60fps and 30fps selections, 50fps, 25fps and 24fps options will be available with the update. 50fps and 25fps allow video editing in the PAL regions, such as Europe, without converting the frame rate. 24fps offers a cinema-like view.
- (13)Manual Shooting in Video mode. (*)
The update will enable ISO sensitivity selection prior to shooting videos, as well as the ability to adjust aperture and shutter speed during movie recording.
- (14)Phase detection AF support for Instant AF. (*)
In Instant AF mode, which is operated by pressing the AF-L button during manual focusing, the update will enable Phase Detection AF, providing faster focusing speeds.
- (15)Expansion of shutter speed in Program Shift mode. (*)
In the current Program Shift mode, the slowest-speed setting is 1/4sec, but this will increase to a maximum of 4secs.
- 3. Operability improvements
- (16)The new user interface.
The new user interface has been designed with particular attention paid to the size and layout of displayed settings.
This allows you to concentrate fully on shooting through the viewfinder.
- (17)Improved Shutter Speed Dial operation. (*)
When the Shutter Speed Dial is set to T and the Shutter Type to Mechanical + Electronic, you can use the command dial to set a full range of exposure times from 30-1/32000sec. Previously, this was limited to 30-2 seconds. This means you can change the shutter speeds across a broader range without having to change camera position.
- (18)Name of Silent mode changed to avoid confusion. (*)
The Silent Mode has been renamed to "SOUND & FLASH ".
- (19)Direct selection of AF area. (*)
The update will let users select the focus area using the 4-way selector buttons, without pressing the Fn key.
- (20)Unlocked AE-L / AF-L Buttons. (*)
The function of the AE-L / AF-L button is currently locked, but will be interchangeable, depending on the user's preference.
- (21)Variable Focus Area during MF. (*)
When working in Manual focus mode, the update will enable changing the size of the focus area during Instant AF with the AF-L button.
- (22)Q. Menu customization. (*)
To make the Q Menu (used for quick access of frequently-used items) even more efficient, the update will allow its items and layout to be changed to the user's preference.
- (23)Interlocking of Metering and Focus areas. (*)
Users will be able to interlock the AF area position with the Metering area when Spot Metering mode is selected.
- (24)Movie Recording. (*)
Movie recording starts by pressing a function button not the shutter button. "MOVIE" in DRIVE options is eliminated.
- 4. Other changes with the update
- (25)Supports focus limiter function for XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR.
To be fully compatible with the lens, the new firmware supports focus limiter function for FUJINON XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR.
- (26)"BACKGROUND COLOR" menu.
"BACKGROUND COLOR" menu in "SCREEN SET-UP" menu is eliminated.
- (27)The maximum number of images taken in the continuous shooting mode.
JPEG in High-speed continuous shooting mode: approx. 28 images ⇒ approx. 18 images RAW in High-speed and Low-speed continuous shooting mode: 1 or 2 less images than before the update.
The firmware update Ver. 3.10 from Ver.3.01 incorporates the following issues:
- 1. Addition of compatibility with "XF35mmF2 R WR"
AF function will work more naturally and smoothly with "XF35mmF2 R WR".
- 2. Addition of compatibility with Teleconverter "XF1.4X TC WR"
Function with the combination of "XF1.4X TC WR" and "XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR" will be fully performed and values of aperture and focal length will be displayed correctly.
* Upgrade the firmware of a camera to the latest version first and then upgrade the firmware of your lens for Tele Conversion Lenses.
The firmware update Ver.3.01 from Ver.3.00 incorporates the following issues:
- 1. Support for Windows10
The phenomenon is fixed that images in a camera cannot be transferred to a Windows10 PC via a USB cable.
The firmware update Ver.3.00 from Ver.2.10 incorporates the following issues:
- Regarding operations of items below from 1 through 4, refer to "X-E2 New Features Guide [Ver.3.00 or later]" below.
- 1. AF+MF
- "AF+MF" function enables seamless manual focusing. After half pressing the shutter to autofocus on the subject, fine adjustment can then be made using the manual focus ring.
- 2. Enhanced wireless function for shooting from your smartphone or tablet devices*
- By downloading the free FUJIFILM Camera Remote** app to your smartphone or tablet devices, users can use the Remote Control function, which allows a wealth of control, even from a distance. This functionality is great for a wide variety of shots, including group photos, self-portraits and animals in their natural habitat.
- * Android™, smartphone and table devices, iPhone / iPad.
- ** After updating the Firmware Version 3.00, FUJIFILM Camera Application app cannot be used.
Requires installation of FUJIFILM Camera Remote app to your smartphone or tablet devices
- 3. New Classic Chrome Film Simulation
- The X Series' Film Simulation modes represent Fujifilm's wealth of experience in color reproduction technology. "Classic Chrome", which delivers subtle colors and beautifully muted tones reminiscent of vintage reversal film, has been newly added to the existing selection.
- 4. Interval timer shooting
- The new Interval timer shooting function allows X-E2 users to capture time lapse photography. Set the starting time, the shooting interval (1 sec. to 24 hr.) and finally the number of frames (1 - 999), and the camera does the rest.
The firmware update Ver.2.10 from Ver.2.00 incorporates the following issues:
- 1. Addition of compatibility with "XF18-135mmF3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR"
- To ensure that autofocus performs as expected, upgrade the firmware for the camera.
- 2. Change of aperture display for zoom lenses
- Display of aperture value when zooming with the shutter button pressed halfway will become same as the display when zooming without the shutter button pressed.
The firmware update Ver.2.00 from Ver.1.20 incorporates the following issues:
- Regarding operations of items below from 2 through 4, refer to “X-E2 New Features Guide （Ver.2.00 or later）” below.
- 1. Enhanced EVF including the world’s fastest* display lag-time of 0.005 seconds
The firmware will shorten the display lag** for X-E2’s Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) to less than 1/10 compared to that of the current firmware to the world’s fastest 0.005 seconds for ultimate performance which has been invented as Real Time Viewfinder, featured in X-T1. Also it enhances the frame rate of the viewfinder and the highest frame rate is maintained even in low light conditions or night-time photography, providing smooth live view images through the lens.
- * Fujifilm research as of January 2014.
- ** Time lag between actual subject movements and subject movements seen through a viewfinder.
- 2. Selectable colors for outlines for Focus Peak Highlight
Focus Peak Highlight is a focus-aiding function that highlights the outlines of areas that have high subject contrast. The firmware allows users to select Blue or Red in addition to the current White to highlight the areas of strong contrast. The strength of the color display can be also adjusted between High and Low according to the type of your subject or your personal preference.
- 3. Added functions that can be assigned to the Fn (Function) button
Users can now assign the “FACE DETECTION” and “EVF/LCD SETTING” selection functions to four Fn (Function) buttons on the top and back in shooting mode. When set to “EVF/LCD SETTING”, the button is used to switch between four modes, i.e. “EYE SENSOR MODE” (automatically switching the EVF and LCD displays when the user's eye comes close to the viewfinder), “EVF ONLY”, “LCD ONLY” and “EVF ONLY + EYE SENSOR”.
- 4. Added “Suppressed Flash” option when selecting flash mode
Once the firmware is updated, a “Suppressed Flash mode (where the flash does not fire even when the subject is poorly lit)” can be selected from the flash menu.
- 5. The phenomenon is fixed that in FILM SIMULATION Bracketing, third picture is recorded as “ASTIA” although the third picture is set as “PRO Neg. Hi”.
The firmware update Ver.1.10 from Ver.1.00 incorporates the following issues:
- Regarding operations of items below 1 “X-E2 New Features Guide(Ver.1.10 or later)” in this website.
In this firmware upgrade, all the camera settings including date will be reset to the factory setting.
- 1. New functionality allowing you to edit image file names
An image file name (DSCF***) is automatically allocated to each picture when shooting, this can now be changed to your file name of choice.* This added functionality is useful when organizing the images after shooting, and sorting the images into groups.
- * It can be changed to a 4-letter file name when selecting “sRGB” and a 3-letter file name when selecting “Adobe RGB” for the color space.
- 2. Improvement of RAW file conversion function
When developing RAF images in-camera using the built-in RAW file converter, the firmware upgrade improves the flow by taking you back to the original RAF image once the conversion has been done, whereas before it left you with the converted JPG file on screen and the user had to go back to the next RAF file manually.