TOKYO, October 27, 2022 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) announces the launch of the smartphone printer “INSTAX SQUARE Link” (SQUARE Link) capable of printing images stored in a smartphone onto square-format film. It will be available in Japan on November 17, 2022 and in other countries on November 16 or later in sequence. The SQUARE Link is the latest addition to the Link Series of smartphone printers featuring the function to apply an AR (augmented reality) effect to INSTAX prints and the function to insert a message to INSTAX prints.
The INSTAX Link Series of smartphone printers have been embraced by the younger generation around the world for their ability to connect with a smartphone through a dedicated app*1 using Bluetooth*2 and print images stored in the smartphone onto INSTAX films anytime and anywhere, in high quality. Appeals of the INSTAX Link Series have been expanding with the introduction of the INSTAX Link WIDE, compatible with wide-format INSTAX films, and the INSTAX mini Link 2, which prints images onto card-size INSTAX films.
The latest SQUARE Link supports square-format films and features two new functions that further expand the enjoyment of photography.
This function uses a dedicated app to apply an AR effect to INSTAX prints. Users can enjoy an INSTAX print decorated with the AR effect, or save it as video or still image for easy sharing on social media.
The dedicated app can be also used to superimpose a chat message onto a photo in the smartphone and print it out. Users can send it to their friends who can also add a reply message onto the photo. The INSTAX interactions that combine a photo with chat message creates real connections with remote partners.
The printer comes in two color variations: plain Ash White and more subdued Midnight Green, which blends perfectly into interior décor. To be released at the same time as the SQUARE Link are dedicated SQUARE Link cases in matching colors and a photo album designed for SQUARE films.
Fujifilm will continue to broaden the world of the “INSTAX” instant photo system, which can print photos people take immediately on the spot.
1. Product name
(1) Smartphone printer “INSTAX SQUARE Link” (available in two colors)
(2) “INSTAX SQUARE Link” Printer Case
(3) SQUARE Album
2. Release date and Price in Japan
|Product name||Release date||Price|
|(1) Smartphone printer “INSTAX SQUARE Link”||November 17, 2022||Open|
|(2) “INSTAX SQUARE Link” Printer Case|
|(3) SQUARE Album|
3. Main features
(1) Print an image or a still image captured from a video with ease
- The dedicated app can be used to easily edit an image saved in a smartphone with intuitive operations to print it out quickly. Users can scale up, scale down or rotate a photo, apply a filter or adjust brightness to achieve a desired finish. Video saved in the smartphone can be also imported into the app, so that users can scroll it to right or left to choose the right frame to print out.
(2) New “AR Print” function for applying an AR effect to add a personal touch to prints
- Users choose an image saved in their smartphone, and select a desired AR effect. Read the QR code on the resulting INSTAX print, to enjoy the print decorated with a selected AR effect.
- Five kinds of AR effect are available: “Add special FX,” “Add Photo,” “Add Background,” “Add Doodle and “Add Text.” Original AR effect can be created in “Add Doodle” and “Add Text.”
- Users can save an INSTAX print screen that has an AR effect applied as either video or still image for easy sharing on social media.
- Combining AR effects with an INSTAX print broadens the way of enjoying adding an emotive touch to an image or creating a surprise pictorial message.
How to use “AR Print”
(3) New “INSTAX Connect” function for enjoying INSTAX prints with chat messages
- This function superimposes a chat message onto an image saved in a smartphone for printing by using the dedicated app. Users can send an image with a message, and even combine a reply message into the print photo. This function broadens the joy of communicating through photographs and provides new ways of enjoying INSTAX prints, experiencing real connections with remote partners such as creating a special anniversary photo with a message for your loved ones, or adding a message to a children’s photo and sending it to their grandparents who live far away.
(4) Other functions
- INSTAX Camera: Adding an INSTAX frame to photograph a subject and print it out
- Editable Print: Making it easy to create a print in a fancy frame or in a collage effect
- Sketch, edit & print: Combining a Hand-writing pattern or text to a picture for printing
- Save Image: Saving a printed picture as an image with INSTAX frame
- Enhanced Quality Prints: Choosing between “INSTAX-Rich Mode” with rich colors and “INSTAX -Natural Mode” for enjoying distinctively-INSTAX color tones
“SQUARE Link” promotion
With the tagline of “Go Beyond the Frame,” Fujifilm is running a global promotional campaign for the SQUARE Link on websites, social media and in stores, encouraging users to think outside the box to enjoy INSTAX prints in ways out of the ordinary. The promotion video conveys the desire to strengthen family ties with INSTAX Connect while the main potential target of SQUARE Link is the younger generation.
About the INSTAX brand
The “INSTAX” series of instant cameras, launched in 1998, is affectionately called “Cheki” in Japan. Today, it is sold in over 100 countries and regions around the world, including Europe, United States, China and Southeast Asia, especially among the young generation. The brand has been expanded to add a lineup of smartphone printers which allows users to print images stored in smartphones with ease, thereby broadening the user base. Today, the INSTAX series has been globally embraced as a communication tool or a tool of self expression for its ability to capture those precious moments in life in the form of photo prints, and convey emotions that go with them.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division,
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm Office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please across the following website.