This news release is issued by FUJIFILM Corporation in Japan.
Fujifilm makes no representation that products on this news release are commercially available in all countries and regions. Approved uses of products vary by country and region.
Specifications and appearance of products are subject to change without notice.
TOKYO, September 29, 2020 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) has announced the release of two endoscopic accessories in Japan on October 1. The accessories, the droplet-shielding Mouthpiece “B1” and the Endoscope Cover “P1,” are designed to mitigate healthcare workers’ risk of becoming infected with the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19) and other pathogens from exposure to patients’ aerosol droplets.
COVID-19 is thought to be primarily transmitted through droplets or by physical contact*1*2. Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy via the mouth or nose could trigger coughs or vomiting reflexes, which raises concerns for the spread of viruses through droplets*3. The possibility of viral infection is also pointed out for lower gastrointestinal endoscopy*3*4. Protective equipment and other anti-infection measures are used at the frontline of endoscopic examination to reduce the risk of infection.
Fujifilm has developed two endoscopic accessories that help reduce healthcare workers’ risk of becoming infected with COVID-19 and various other pathogens.
< Features of the Mouthpiece “B1” >
- The Mouthpiece “B1” comes with a drape shield for covering a patient’s face. It shields healthcare workers from patients during peroral endoscopy, thereby reducing the risk of viral transmission by droplets.
- It reduces the spread of aerosol droplets by setting the sponges with slits to the inserting part of an endoscope which fills the gap between the endoscope and the mouthpiece.
- The mouthpiece is designed with extra depth to create space between the patient’s face and the shield for easy breathing. It also reduces the discomfort of covering the face with the shield.
- Internal tests have shown that , the “B1” cuts more than 99%*5 of respiratory droplets measuring 5μm or larger in coughs, compared to Fujifilm’s existing mouthpiece*6.
< Features of the Endoscope Cover “P1” >
- The Endoscope Cover “P1” covers the forceps valve, which is fitted onto a port of inserting endoscopic device. The “P1” reduces the spread of body fluid on the endoscopic device when it is pulled out.
- The drape cover covers the entire operating portion of an endoscope, including the forceps valve, designed to protect healthcare workers from patients’ body fluid.
Fujifilm will continue to address various needs at the medical frontline to assist healthcare workers on site, while contributing to maintaining and improving peoples’ health.
1. Product name
1) Product name: Mouthpiece B1
2) Product name: Endoscope Cover P1
2. Release date in Japan
October 1, 2020
3. Main specifications
|Mouthpiece “B1”||Endoscope Cover “P1”|
|Materials||Main Body: MABS resin
Sponges: Flexible urethane foam
|Forceps Valve Attachment Portion: ABS resin
Sponges: Flexible urethane foam
|Size||300mm×300mm (Drape area)||400mm×550mm (Drape area)|
|Packing unit||10 units per box||10 units per box|
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.