Fujifilm launches FUJINON Premista80-250mmT2.9-3.5 telephoto zoom lens
September 4, 2019
- Second zoom cinema lens in the Premista Series with outstanding high resolution, beautiful bokeh and rich gradation
- Bringing out the potential of large format sensors in video production to the maximum extent
- Covering focal lengths from 28mm to 250mm when combined with a standard zoom lens
For producing high quality videos such as Hollywood movies, there has been increasing demand for filming equipment capable of delivering beautiful bokeh and rich gradation with HDR. Accordingly, many cinematographers have been adopting cinema cameras equipped with a large format sensor. While a variety of prime lenses compatible with the large format sensors are already available in the market, there is a growing demand for zoom lenses, which cover a wide range of focal lengths without having to change lenses frequently, and therefore offer more efficient operability.
In response to such demand, Fujifilm has developed the Premista Series of zoom lenses for high-performance cinema cameras equipped with a large format sensor. The Premista28-100mm, the first model in this Series released in August this year, has been praised by professionals of video production for “edge-to-edge sharpness” and “coverage of the most frequently-used focal lengths for exceptional convenience.”
The Premista80-250mm is a telephoto zoom lens covering focal lengths from 80mm to 250mm. Featuring large-diameter aspherical lens elements and unique focusing / zooming system, the lens achieves an astonishing level of edge-to-edge sharpness. The use of 13-blade iris design, combined with shallow depth-of-field which is a characteristic of large format sensors, produces natural and beautiful bokeh to faithfully capture the subject's texture, three-dimensional definition and even an atmosphere of the scene. Furthermore, the lens applies Fujifilm's unique optical design to minimize ghosts and flares, thereby creating rich gradation with HDR and bringing out the full potential of large-format sensors.
The Premista80-250mm can be paired with the Premista28-100mm to cover focal lengths from 28mm to 250mm, capturing scenes with broad background in wide angle as well as closing in on a subject from a distance in telephoto. The two lenses also share the same front diameter and the gear position for three rings. This ensures efficient operability, as users can fit the same matte box, follow-focus system and other accessories, without re-adjusting accessory positions when changing between the two lenses.
Fujifilm has led the cinema industry since its foundation in 1934 to achieve domestic production of photographic and motion picture films in Japan. The company's products are widely praised by videographers around the world, with the development of high-performance zoom cinema lenses winning the Emmy Award by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2017. Fujifilm will continue to tap into optical, high precision forming and assembling technologies that have been nurtured in the field of cutting-edge video production to develop a wide range of lenses, thereby addressing the diversifying needs.
1. Product nameand release date
Product name : FUJINON Prermista80-250mmT2.9-3.5
Release date : December 2019
2. Main features of the Premista80-250mm
(1) Supporting large-format sensors to deliver outstanding high resolution, natural and beautiful bokeh and rich gradation
- The lens combines large-diameter aspherical lens elements processed to ultimate precision, with Fujifilm's unique focusing / zooming system to minimize distortion*2 and chromatic aberration. It has the ability to achieve an astonishing level of edge-to-edge image resolution, regardless of the working distance or zoom position, delivering footage of impressive sharpness and clarity.
- The 13-blade design forms a near-perfect circular aperture. It produces natural and beautiful bokeh when combined with a shallow depth-of-field, which is a characteristic of large-format sensors.
- The lens applies Fujifilm's unique optical design to minimize ghosts and flares, thereby creating rich gradation with HDR.
- The lens produces video in natural color tones, popular with Fujifilm's HK / ZK / XK / MK Series of cinema lenses. Consistency in color design with the current lineup of lenses simplifies color grading*3 , required when using multiple lenses.
(2) Telephoto zoom covering focal lengths from 80mm to 250mm
- This is a telephoto zoom lens that offers the fast T-stop value range of 2.9-3.5*4 and focal length range from 80mm to 250mm. It can be paired with the Premista28-100mm standard zoom lens to cover focal lengths from 28mm to 250mm, capturing scenes with broad background in wide angle as well as closing in on a subject from a distance in telephoto.
(3) Excellent operability
- The lens shares the same front diameter and the gear position for the focus, zoom and iris (aperture) operating rings with the Premista28-100mm. This promises efficient operability, as users can fit the same matte box, follow-focus system and other accessories, without re-adjusting accessory positions when changing between the two lenses.
- The lens features a Flange Focal Distance adjustment function*5 , allowing users to adjust the flange focal distance by simply rotating a ring on the lens barrel to correct a shift in the flange focal distance caused by rapid temperature changes at a shooting site. This function achieves optimum camera and lens matching, thereby bringing out the lens's full optical performance.
- The focus ring can be rotated as much as 280 degrees and gives a sensation of smooth torque when rotated to enable precise focusing. Fluorescent paint is applied to index marks on the focus, zoom and iris rings so that these settings can be visibly checked even at night or in a dark room. The focus index can be also displayed in feet or meters.
(4) Compact and lightweight body with advanced robustness
- Mechanical design perfected with Fujifilm's simulation technology, nurtured over many years, is coupled with production technology for assembling parts processed in the order of microns at high precision, to produce a compact and lightweight body with advanced robustness, withstanding harsh filming conditions in professional video production.
(5) Supporting the ZEISS eXtended Data*6
- This lens supports the “ZEISS eXtended Data”, developed by Carl Zeiss in compliance with the “/i® Technology*7 ” communication standard. It allows users to record lens metadata (focus, zoom and iris positions) for filmed footage as well as to correct lens distortion and peripheral light fall-off*8 .