TOKYO, October 1, 2020 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is pleased to announce the introduction of the FUJINON HYPER-CLARITY Series of binoculars, characterized by the unique “SUPER EBC FUJINON” multi-coating that enhances light transmittance to deliver a bright and clear field of view. The Series will be launched in November 2020 with the release of two new models equipped with large-diameter lenses, namely “FUJINON HYPER-CLARITY HC8x42” (HC8x42) and “FUJINON HYPER-CLARITY HC10x42” (HC10x42). The HC8x42 and the HC10x42 have the magnification ratios of 8x and 10x respectively, making them both suitable for bird-watching, star-gazing and other outdoor observation of wildlife and nature.
The HC8x42 and the HC10x42 have been selected for the Good Design Best 100.
Binoculars are used for a wide range of applications including wildlife / nature observation, sports viewing and border control. Fujifilm released its first FUJINON-branded binoculars in 1947 and has since developed and marketed mainly professional-use binoculars for security and monitoring applications, which call for advanced optical performance. The optical and mechanical design technologies the company has fostered through the binocular business have also been applied to the development of consumer binoculars, resulting in innovative products including image-stabilized binoculars with the world’s highest*1 vibration correction*2 of ±6°.
The HC8x42 and HC10x42, to be released this time, are compact roof-prism*3 binoculars for excellent portability. The use of large lenses, with the effective diameter*4 of 42mm, delivers superior light-gathering power. All light-transmitting surfaces of lens elements and prisms are applied with Fujifilm’s unique SUPER EBC FUJINON multi-coating, known for its use on interchangeable lenses for the X Series of digital cameras, to enhance light transmittance and provide a brighter field of view. The use of ED lens elements effectively controls chromatic aberration for excellent image resolution and contrast, allowing users to enjoy the beauty of wildlife and nature with amazing clarity.
The HC8x42 and HC10x42 use slip-resistant elastomeric material*5 and easy-grip body shape to achieve excellent operability. Alumite-processed milled aluminum is used for the eye cups at the eyepiece, adding the metal texture for a premium design appearance. In addition, the binoculars are built with a robust and lightweight magnesium-alloy body frame and a structure resistant to water and fogging, making them suitable for outdoor use.
Fujifilm has tapped into its optical, high precision forming and assembling technologies, nurtured over many years, to develop a wide range of products including broadcast lenses, surveillance cameras, projectors and binoculars. Fujifilm will continue to develop and supply innovative products to meet diversifying market needs.
1. Product features of the HC8x42 and HC10x42
- (1) Binoculars with large-diameter lenses for a bright and clear field of view
- Large lens elements with the effective diameter of 42mm are used as objective lenses to ensure superior light-gathering power. All light-transmitting surfaces of lens elements and prisms are applied with Fujifilm’s unique SUPER EBC FUJINON multi-coating, known for its use on interchangeable lenses for the company’s digital cameras, to enhance light transmittance. The light-reflecting surfaces of auxiliary prisms are also applied with dielectric multilayer coating (reflection-amplifying coating) for greater reflectance and a brighter field of view.
- The use of ED lens elements effectively controls chromatic aberration, while the reflective surfaces of roof prisms are applied with phase correction coating (phase coating) to achieve excellent image resolution and contrast, producing clarity in the field of vision. This design ensures balanced transmission of light in wavelengths within the visible region to create natural colors close to what the naked eye sees.
- Optimal placement of nine lens elements in seven groups controls distortion across the entire view from the center to the edges.
- The HC8x42 and the HC10x42 have the magnification ratio of 8x and 10x respectively, making them both suitable for bird-watching and star-gazing. The HC10x42, in particular, can provide magnification equivalent to a view of a subject provided by a digital camera mounted with a 400mm telephoto lens*6. Therefore, the binoculars can be recommended to the users of Fujifilm’s X Series of digital cameras, using the binoculars for finding a photo subject and determining a suitable angle of view.
- (2) Advanced operability and premium design
- The binoculars use slip-resistant elastomeric material and ergonomically-engineered easy-grip body shape so that they provide excellent stability when held in users’ hand.
- The binoculars feature focus rings applied with fine knurling processing. The rings grip to users’ fingers even when wearing gloves to enable focus adjustment with ease.
- The design incorporating long eye relief*7 means the binoculars can be used even when wearing glasses.
- The binoculars feature stylish design that combines flat and curved surfaces. Alumite-processed milled aluminum is used for the eye cups at the eyepiece. The premium design featuring metal texture, which has become synonymous with the X Series of digital cameras, amplifies users’ joy of ownership.
- (3) Advanced reliability that withstands outdoor use
- The binoculars feature robust and lightweight magnesium-alloy body frame and a structure resistant to water*8 and fogging. Water-repellant coating is applied to both objective lenses and eyepieces to accommodate outdoor use with peace of mind.
- The front side of objective lenses are threaded for fitting optical filters. Users can screw on various optical filters, including PL filters for controlling backlight, for applications in a variety of conditions.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website