Sustainable Paper Procurement
FUJIFILM Business Innovation formulated the rules for paper procurement in consideration of ecosystems, biodiversity and the human rights of local inhabitants. We have criteria on paper to be procured and criteria for CSR-oriented operation to request suppliers to conserve biodiversity and respect the rights of local communities as part of all their business activities. Based on these standards, we started in 2012 to achieve the stable procurement of paper in a manner that is in harmony with the sustainability of forest resources and the local community. We do so by confirming the procurement situation through on-site audits and a committee headed by the management team. Our efforts, which also won the involvement of affiliated companies and suppliers both in and outside of Japan, received high acclaim, resulting in us being awarded the Grand Prize at the 18th Green Purchasing Award for Expanding the Green Market in fiscal 2017. We will ensure paper suppliers’ compliance with the rules so that we can continue to provide customers with paper that they can use with peace of mind.
Paper Procurement Regulation Standards
- Principles on transactions with paper suppliers (Requirements for our suppliers)
Suppliers shall comply with both national and regional laws and regulations in the countries where they operate, and shall conduct business in consideration of the protection of valuable local forests and their ecosystem
- Right of local communities
Suppliers shall see to it that the rights of local communities, such as the right to exist, are protected, and shall fully engage in dialogue with local communities whose rights might be seriously affected by their business activities.
- Corporate ethics
Suppliers shall protect the rights of their workers, conduct fair transactions as a matter of routine, and avoid any association with antisocial forces or organizations.
- Principles on paper procurement (Requirements for paper suppliers that meet the aforementioned transaction criteria)
- The paper materials shall be derived from forests managed in a sustainable manner, forests certified by a third-party organization or forests that are well managed.
- For recycled pulp, the supplier of waste paper used as raw materials shall be clearly identifiable.
- The chemical substances used in the manufacturing process shall be confirmed to be safe.
- The bleaching process used for the paper shall be chlorine-free.
- The manufacturing facilities shall have environmental management systems.
Moreover, in order to contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), FUJIFILM Business Innovation signed the Vancouver Declaration made in support of the SDGs and FSC® certification, showing its support to the forest certification system to ensure the sustainable management of forest resources. We are working to expand our lineup of FSC®-certified copy paper. For details on Vancouver Declaration, please see the link below:
FSC and global companies unveil the Vancouver Declaration (FSC® official website)