TOKYO, September 2, 2021 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President; Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce that it will gradually launch the “FUJINON Lens XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR” (XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR) in late September 2021. It will be a new addition to the lineup of interchangeable XF lenses designed for the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras, known for their compact and lightweight design and outstanding image quality based on Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology.
The XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR is a large-diameter prime lens with the standard focal length of 33mm (equivalent to 50mm in the 35mm format), offering superior resolution capabilities and the maximum aperture of F1.4. Its silent, fast and highly accurate AF system ensures to capture a photo subject swiftly and accurately.
The XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR consists of 15 lens elements in 10 groups, including two aspherical elements and three ED elements, to achieve superior resolution capabilities for edge-to-edge sharpness. Boasting the maximum aperture of F1.4, the lens allows users to produce high-quality pictures with minimal camera shake and digital noise even in low light conditions. The standard focal length of 33mm (equivalent to 50mm in the 35mm format) makes it a perfect choice for snapshots and portraiture that incorporates a natural sense of perspective.
The XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR uses the Inner Focus system, driven by a linear motor, for fast and highly accurate AF. The resulting silent and smooth focusing is perfect for shooting not only stills but also videos. The highly portable design that weighs approximately 360g, thanks to the compact and lightweight X Mount system*1, offers an outstanding mobility.
In addition to the XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR, Fujifilm has today announced the launch of the FUJINON Lens XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR. Including the FUJINON Lens XF18mmF1.4 R LM WR, launched in May this year, a total of three lenses form a new-generation “large diameter prime” series with high resolution capabilities, catering to future advancement in image sensor resolutions. The development roadmap*2, also unveiled today, revealed basic specifications for a high-magnification zoom and an ultra-telephoto zoom, due to join the XF lens lineup in the future. The lineup of 40 interchangeable lenses, shown in the roadmap, will cover a broad range of shooting conditions, enhancing the joy of photo shooting with the X Series of mirrorless cameras.
1. Product features
(1) Superior resolution capabilities for edge-to-edge sharpness
- The lens consists of 15 lens elements in 10 groups, including two aspherical elements and three ED elements, to effectively minimize chromatic aberration and spherical aberration, resulting in superior resolution capabilities for edge-to-edge sharpness. An aspherical element is positioned closest to the mount while the focusing lens group containing the other aspherical element and two ED elements is positioned in the middle. The group is driven together to reduce fluctuation of aberration and maintain premium image quality from the minimum working distance to infinity.
- Boasting the maximum aperture of F1.4, the lens allows users to produce high-quality pictures with minimal camera shake and digital noise even in low light conditions such as outdoors at night or indoors. Creamy bokeh produced by a shallow depth-of-field and precise depiction of the focal plane enables three-dimensional definitions which makes the main subject stand out.
(2) Standard focal length of 33mm for a natural perspective
- The XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR offers the standard focal length of 33mm (equivalent to 50mm in the 35mm format), providing the angle of view closest to that of the human eye for snapshots and portraiture with a natural perspective. The lens is extremely versatile with the minimum working distance of about 30cm and the maximum magnification of 0.15x (equivalent to 0.2x in the 35mm format), enabling a variety of photographic expressions.
(3) Fast and highly accurate AF and compact design for added mobility
- The lens uses the Inner Focus system, in which a compact and lightweight focusing lens group is driven by a linear motor. The focusing group is designed to have a small range of movement to achieve a fast and highly accurate AF, attaining focus in as fast as 0.04 seconds*3 to seize a decisive photo opportunity.
- The lens delivers silent and smooth focusing in the AF-C mode, frequently used when recording video. Fujifilm’s proprietary optical design technology has minimized changes in the angle of view during focusing (focus breathing), making the lens an ideal choice for video recording as well as still photo shooting.
- The focus ring can sense the amount of rotation very accurately to detect even the subtlest of fingertip operations for precise focusing.
- The use of smaller-diameter lens elements in the focusing group and optimized positioning of the linear motor have kept this lens compact, weighing approximately 360g and measuring approximately 73.5mm long with the filter thread size of 58mm for an advanced level of portability.
(4) Excellent usability with a dust and weather resistant structure that can operate at temperatures as low as -10°C
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 11 locations so that it is dust and weather resistant and can be operated at temperatures as low as -10°C, giving users peace of mind when shooting in light rain, in dusty conditions or in low temperatures such as astrophotography on cold winter nights.
- The A (auto) Position Lock offers reliable operation, locking the aperture ring in place to avoid any unintentional adjustment during shooting.
Lens hood LH-XF23-2
(designed for the FUJINON Lens XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR and FUJINON Lens XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR)
Together with the launch of the XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR, Fujifilm is releasing the rectangular-shaped Lens Hood LH-XF23-2, which can also be used with the XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR. It helps reduce flairs and ghosting to capture clear pictures. The milled-aluminum design gives it a classical and stylish look.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division,
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.