Fujifilm launches mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM GFX100S”
January 27, 2021
-Mirrorless digital camera featuring the world's highest*1 102MP large format sensor
-A compact body packed with high-performance image stabilization mechanism and fast / accurate AF function
-Advanced portability broadening the range of shooting situations that can be captured with superior image quality on a next level
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is pleased to announce that the “FUJIFILM GFX100S” (GFX100S) will be released in late February 2021 as the latest addition to the GFX Series of mirrorless digital cameras equipped with a large format sensor*2 about 1.7 times the size of a 35mm full-frame sensor.
The GFX100S is a mirrorless digital camera that uses the world's highest*1 102MP large format sensor and unique color reproduction technology to deliver superior image quality on a whole new level. Its compact and light weight body, weighing just 900g*3, packs up to 6.0-stops of five-axis image stabilization mechanism*4 as well as an autofocus (AF) function with a high level of speed and accuracy. It delivers portability that is unprecedented for a digital camera carrying an image sensor bigger than 35mm full-frame sensors, broadening the scope of photographic situations for its users.
The GFX100S is a innovative mirrorless digital camera that offers superior image quality easier than ever before. Rich tonal reproducibility and shallow depth-of-field unique to the large format sensor realizes three-dimensional definitions. It is a perfect choice not only for professional photographers who want to take advantage of the large sensor for added photographic expressions but also photography enthusiasts who wish to enjoy the world of 100MP images while hand-holding the camera.
*1 For commercially available mirrorless digital cameras as of January 27, 2021, according to Fujifilm.
*2 An image sensor that measures 55mm diagonally (43.8 mm x 32.9 mm) and is approx. 1.7 times bigger than a 35 mm full-frame sensor.
*3 Including a battery and a memory card.
*4 When using the FUJINON Lens GF63mmF2.8 R WR.
The GFX100S is a mirrorless digital camera that is equipped with the world’ highest 102MP sensor and the high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 4” which are used in the GFX Series’ flagship model “FUJIFILM GFX100” (GFX100). Its compact body weighs just 900g, approximately 500g lighter than the the GFX100. The inclusion of up to 6.0-stops of five-axis in-body image stabilization (IBIS) mechanism means users can produce images of ultra-high resolution hand-held. Phase detection pixels are spread across the sensor to enable fast and accurate AF. The ability to attain focus on a subject quickly and accurately increases the camera’s portability. The GFX100S model can cater to a wide range of scenes thanks to its excellent operability, dust and weather resistant, and the capability to operate at temperatures as low as -10℃. Furthermore, the camera enables video production in premium image quality, thanks to its capability to record smooth 4K/30P video in rich tonality.
Fujifilm will continue to offer the joy of photography with the GFX Series including the new GFX100S, the X Series of APS-C sensor cameras, and an extensive lineup of interchangeable lenses.
1. Product features
(1) Superior image quality on a whole new level with the use of a 102MP large format sensor
- The GFX100S is equipped with the same 102MP large format sensor used in the GFX Series' flagship model, “GFX100.” It takes the level of image quality to a whole new level by combining the sensor with the high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 4,” “FUJINON GF lenses” that bring out an astonishing level of image resolution, and the color reproduction technology fostered over many years in the photographic film business. Enlarged images clearly illustrate the camera's capability to capture every detail in sharpness across the frame.
- The GFX100S features a back-illuminated image sensor with excellent light-receiving performance. Despite the ultra-high sensor resolution, the camera takes advantage of its wide dynamic range to achieve rich tonality and low noise. Clipping in highlights and shadows is reduced to create images in three-dimensional definitions as seen by the naked eye. The shallow depth-of–field unique to the large format sensor also renders the background out of focus for smooth bokeh.
- The GFX100S offers the new Film Simulation mode “Nostalgic Neg.”, characterized by high saturation and soft tonality. This mode uses colors and tones reminiscent of the “American New Color”, which emerged in the 1970s to replace monochrome pictures with color photography as the mainstream style for photographic fine arts.
(2) Compact camera body for excellent portability
- The optimized layout of in-body devices complements the use of IBIS and the introduction of a smaller shutter unit, resulting in a compact camera body weighing approximately 900g and measuring 104mm in height and 87mm in depth.
- The casing is made of highly rigid magnesium alloy. Added thickness around the base of the lens mount, which is subject to greater load, has made the camera body highly robust. The dust and weather resistant structure that withstands operation at temperatures as low as -10℃ means the camera can be used in the toughest of shooting conditions.
- The grip has been shaped to make it substantially more comfortable and stable to hold the camera. For example, it reduces hand strains significantly when using a large zoom lens for a comfortable shooting experience.
(3) Newly-developed IBIS mechanism providing a powerful support for hand-held shooting
- The GFX100S features a newly-developed up to 6.0-stops of five-axis IBIS mechanism. It is connected to the camera’s base board in optimized wiring to make the unit smaller by approximately 20% and lighter by approximately 10% compared to the IBIS unit in the GFX100. It uses high-performance gyro senor and acceleration sensor as well as an updated algorithm for detecting vibrations for better image stabilization than the GFX100. The ability to control camera shake during hand-held shooting for both stills and video brings an enhanced comfort to users.
(4) Fast and high-precision AF capturing a subject quickly and accurately
- The GFX100S delivers fast and high-precision AF thanks to the high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 4” and the image sensor that has 3.76 million phase detection pixels across the surface (approx. 100% coverage). The algorithm for movement prediction and face/eye detection has been updated to track a moving subject and people within the frame accurately, ensuring to capture decisive photo moments.
- The camera attains focus smoothly even in near-darkness conditions down to -5.5EV*5, such as in a dark room or at night outdoors illuminated only with starlight, providing users with accurate AF in low light.
- *5 When fitted with the FUJINON Lens GF80mmF1.7 R WR.
(5) Easy operability for a smooth shooting experience
- The Mode dial, on the top panel of the camera body, offers six customizable positions C1 - C6. Users can register functions of their choice to each of the positions so that they can be activated swiftly for a smooth photo shoot.
- There is a selector to instantly switch between the still and movie modes for added convenience in camera operation.
- The newly-designed Focus Lever has adopted a flat shape so as not to cause physical discomfort even after many hours of use. It responds with enhanced sensitivity when moving the focus point, allowing users to autofocus quickly for the intended area in the frame.
- A 1.8-inch sub LCD monitor with excellent visibility is featured on the top panel, displaying key EXIF settings such as shutter speed, aperture, ISO sensitivity, as well as the number of frames remaining while shooting stills and the duration of time remaining while recording video. The display can be customized for added convenience.
- On the rear panel is a 3.2-inch main LCD monitor with approximately 100% coverage. It can tilt in three directions to facilitate high- and low-angle shooting, for which the use of the electronic viewfinder (EVF) is difficult.
(6) 4K/30P video capability enabling high-quality video production
- The GFX100S can capture smooth 4K/30P video, recording 4K/30P 4:2:0 10-bit video onto an SD card inserted, and supporting the output of 4K/30P 4:2:2 10-bit video via the HDMI port for greater color sampling.
- In the DCI format (17:9 aspect ratio), commonly used by digital cinema cameras, the camera records video with a sensor area measuring about 49.5mm diagonally*6. The size, bigger than that of large sensors increasingly adopted by high-end cinema cameras*7, results in outstanding high ISO performance, shallow depth-of-field capability and wide tonal reproducibility. This makes it easier than ever before to produce premium-quality video footage with more detailed textures and three-dimensional definitions while even capturing the atmosphere of the scene.
- The GFX100S supports the highly efficient H.264 and H.265/HEVC compression codecs as well as the “F-Log” mode that reproduces rich tonality and the “Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG)” for recording high dynamic range (HDR) footage with ease. The bit rate can be set up to 400Mbps to produce video as intended.
- When used with the “NINJA V”*8 by ATOMOS, the GFX100S can record video in the Apple ProRes RAW format. The RAW data, free of any in-camera processing, allows users to apply exposure adjustments and color grading with flexibility for fully-fledged video production.
- *6 Referring to the area of the image sensor used for video recording. In the case of the GFX100S, when the 17:9 format is selected, the area measures approx. 49.5mm diagonally.
- *7 Image sensors with the diagonal dimension of 43.2mm to 46.3mm.
- *8 A product integrating a monitor and a recorder, made by ATOMOS.