TOKYO, May 24, 2023 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) announce the launch of the mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-S20” (X-S20) on June 29, 2023. It is a new addition to the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras known for their compact and lightweight body and superior image quality based on the company’s proprietary color reproduction technology. In its compact and lightweight body that has been well-received in previous model*1, the X-S20 features AI-based subject-detection AF and capability to record 6.2K/30P video. The X-S20 can take approximately 800 frames*2 per charge with the use of the newly-adopted high-capacity battery and keeps operating for an extended duration of time, making it an ideal travel camera.
The X-S20 offers premium image quality and advanced portability, catering to a variety of shooting styles ranging from casual self-portraits to fully-fledged photography and videography.
The X-S20 is equipped with the back-illuminated 26.1MP sensor “X-Trans™ CMOS 4”*3 and the high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 5” to produce high-quality images. It features X-S Series’ signature large grip for hand-holding stability. The use of the new high-capacity battery has more than doubled the number of frames per charge to approximately 800 compared to that of the previous model. The compact and light body, weighing just 491g*4 makes it comfortable to use even in long-hour shootings. The camera also features the five-axis in-body image stabilization (IBIS) mechanism that offers up to 7.0-stop advantage*5. The AI-based subject-detection AF, capable of detecting animals and cars, adds to its AF performance, equivalent to the fifth-generation X Series camera, FUJIFILM X-T5, for added mobility.
The X-S20 is equipped with high-performance video recording functions such as 6.2K/30P 4:2:2 10-bit video onto an SD card inserted in the camera. By installing the cooling fan FAN-001*6, the users can shoot 6.2K/30P video for up to 78 minutes*7. Also, with the adoption of a φ3.5mm microphone / earphone jack, the users can shoot fully-fledged video using external accessories. Furthermore, the new Vlog Mode makes it easy to produce a Vlog when the camera is combined with the tripod grip, “TG-BT1.”*6
Fujifilm will support users enjoy photography and videography in comfort by continuing to offer the X Series of mirrorless cameras with APS-C sensors, an extensive lineup of premium-quality lenses including the FUJINON Lens XF8mmF3.5 R WR, also released today, and the dedicated app, FUJIFILM XApp.
1. Product features
(1) Achieving high image quality and high-performance AF with the 26.1MP image sensor and the latest high-speed image processing engine
- The X-S20 is equipped with the back-illuminated 26.1MP sensor “X-Trans™ CMOS 4” and the latest high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 5” to produce high-quality images while keeping power consumption lower than the previous model.
- The camera features the subject-detection AF, developed with deep learning technology, in addition to the existing Face and Eye AF. AI is used to add the ability to detect animals, birds, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, airplanes, trains, insects and drones*8. The AF system automatically tracks an intended subject while keeping it in focus, allowing users to concentrate on a shutter opportunity and framing. The evolved AF prediction algorithm enables stable focusing even in the AF-C mode*9.
- The AUTO mode, which automatically selects optimum settings according to scenes, is complemented with the new AUTO Subject Detection function. It automatically detects a subject and tracks it while keeping it in focus, making it easy to produce high-quality stills and videos.
- The X-S20 comes with 19 Film Simulation modes including “Nostalgic Neg.,” characterized by high saturation and soft tonality. Users can use Film Simulation presets to suit individual subject types and scenes, as if they are choosing photographic films.
(2) Incorporating high-capacity battery and high-performance IBIS mechanism into the compact and lightweight body for ease and comfort
- The X-S20 features X-S Series’ signature large grip for hand-holding stability, while keeping the body compact and light, weighing just 491g.
- The use of the new high-capacity battery, NP-W235, has more than doubled the number of frames per charge to approximately 800 compared to that of the previous model. Extended battery life means users can enjoy shooting without worrying about the remaining charge level, making the camera the perfect choice for extended all-day shooting or during travel.
- The camera is equipped with the five-axis IBIS mechanism that offers up to 7.0-stop advantage. It makes it easy to shoot at night or in low-light conditions hand-held.
- The X-S20 is equipped with a 2.36-million-dot EVF with 0.62x magnification as well as a 1.84-million-dot rear LCD monitor with the vari-angle structure, which can be positioned in a range of angles, making self-portraits easy. The camera can be combined with the tripod grip, TG-BT1, for Vlog production.
(3) 6.2K/30P video recording and other extensive video functions
- The X-S20 can record 6.2K/30P 4:2:2 10-bit video onto an SD card inserted in the camera, and also supports extensive video functions including 4K/60P and 1080/240P capability.
- The camera features F-Log2 for recording video in the expanded 13+ stop dynamic range for enriched tonality, providing creative freedom in post-production.
- Up to 6.2K/30P 12-bit RAW video output is supported via HDMI. Use the ATMOS monitor “NINJA V+”*10 to record Apple ProRes RAW*11 and the Blackmagic Design monitor “Video Assist 12G”*12 to record Blackmagic RAW.
- The camera has a 3.5mm microphone / earphone jack for high expandability despite its compact and lightweight body. Furthermore, the new Vlog Mode has been introduced for Vlog production. Set the mode dial on the top panel to “Vlog” to change camera settings with a touch of a button for self-portraits.
- Use a USB-Type C cable to connect the camera to a computer to use it as a webcam*13 without having to use software such as FUJIFILM X Webcam. Film Simulation modes are available for live streaming or online meetings. Shooting settings can be adjusted even while the camera is connected to a computer.
2. Optional accessories
Cooling fan “FAN-001”*14 (already released)
- This cooling fan can be attached to the rear panel of the camera body without a cable, supporting long hour shooting and video recording in a high-temperature condition. The power can be supplied to the fan from the camera body.
Tripod grip “TG-BT1”*15 (already released)
- This grip enhances mobility and camera’s hold while adding tripod functionality. Users can comfortably take self-portraits and low angle shots, where it is normally difficult to hold the camera in position. As a tripod, the TG-BT1 can be used for a wide range of applications from group shots to tabletop still.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division,
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.