TOKYO, September 2, 2020 — FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is pleased to announce the development of the wide-angle zoom lens Premista19-45mmT2.9 (Premista19-45mm) with a focal length of 19-45mm. It will be the third model to join the Premista Series of zoom lenses for cinema cameras that support large-format sensors*1 and deliver outstanding high resolution, natural and beautiful bokeh and rich gradation with HDR (high dynamic range). The Premista19-45mm effectively reduces the distortion*2 that tends to occur when shooting at wide-angle focal lengths. A natural image with little distortion is achieved throughout the entire zoom range, lightening the burden of correcting video after shooting and allowing high quality video to be created more efficiently. The Premista19-45mm is scheduled for release in early 2021.
In recent years, there has been an increase in the adoption of cinema cameras equipped with large-format sensors capable of delivering beautiful bokeh and rich gradation at sites producing high quality videos, such as for Hollywood movies. While prime lens, which has outstanding optical performance, are regularly used among lenses compatible with the large format sensors, there is a growing demand for zoom lenses which has both ability to efficiently capture images without the hassle of having to frequently change lenses and to shoot high quality images.
In response to such demand, Fujifilm released both a standard and telephoto zoom lens as part of the Premista Series of zoom lenses for high-performance cinema cameras equipped with a large-format sensor in 2019. The series has been praised by professionals of video production for its edge-to-edge sharpness and wide range of focal lengths for exceptional convenience.
The newly developed Premista19-45mm is a wide-angle zoom lens that covers focal lengths from 19mm to 45mm with a constant T-stop of 2.9*3. Featuring large-diameter aspherical lens elements and a unique zooming system, the lens achieves an astonishing level of edge-to-edge sharpness. Additionally, the distortion is effectively reduced throughout the entire zoom range even at the widest focal lengths. Furthermore, compact design, an overall length of 230mm and a weight of 3.3kg, and excellent robustness have been achieved. These were accomplished through mechanical design perfected with simulation technology cultivated over many years and production technology for assembling parts processed in the order of microns with high precision. The new zoom lens can be utilized for handheld shooting using a steadicam*4 or high-angle shooting using a crane. Similar to the standard and telephoto zoom types, the Premista19-45mm supports “ZEISS eXtended Data”, which can record lens metadata*5 when shooting, supporting efficient video production.
Fujifilm will be launching this product in early 2021, expanding both the Premista Series lineup and the shooting range for high-quality video.
Fujifilm has led the cinema industry since its foundation in 1934 to achieve domestic production of photographic and motion picture films in Japan. The company’s products are widely praised by cinematographers around the world, including the development of high-performance zoom cinema lenses winning the Emmy Award by the American Academy of Television Arts and Sciences in 2017. Fujifilm will continue to tap into optical, high precision forming and assembling technologies that have been nurtured in the field of cutting-edge video production to develop a wide range of lenses, thereby addressing the diverse needs.
1. Product name
2. Main features
- (1) Supporting large-format sensors to deliver outstanding high resolution, natural and beautiful bokeh and neutral, accurate color tone
- The new Premista19-45mm lens combines large-diameter aspherical lens elements polished to ultimate precision with Fujifilm’s unique zooming system to deliver superior resolution by effectively correcting issues such as chromatic aberration, achieving impressive quality and clarity.
- The Premista19-45mm effectively reduces the distortion that tends to occur when shooting at wide-angle focal lengths across the entire zoom range.
- The 13-blade design forms a near-perfect circular aperture. It produces natural and beautiful bokeh when combined with a shallow depth-of-field, which is a characteristic of large-format sensors.
- Cutting edge optical design and Fujifilm’s unique coating process have been adopted to minimize ghosts and control flares to maintain good contrast to maximize the dynamic range of light being captured by the camera.
- (2) Wide-angle zoom covering focal lengths from 19mm to 45mm
- The new Premista19-45mm lens is a wide-angle zoom lens that offers a T-stop value of 2.9 and focal length range from 19mm to 45mm. This lens covers the focal lengths of five prime lenses*6, reducing the need to change lenses and allowing more effective shooting in a shorter amount of time.
- (3) Compact design with excellent robustness
- Mechanical design perfected with Fujifilm’s simulation technology, nurtured over many years, is coupled with production technology for assembling parts processed in the order of microns at high precision, to produce a compact and lightweight body with excellent robustness that can withstand the harsh filming conditions. The Premista19-45mm is 25mm shorter in length and 500g lighter in weight than the other two Premista lenses.
- (4) Excellent and comfortable operability
- The new lens shares the same front diameter and gear position for the focus, zoom and iris operating rings as the standard and telephoto zoom type of Premista Series lenses. This allows for efficient operability, as the same matte box, which reduces issues such as flares and ghosts, follow-focus system, which enables smooth and accurate focusing, and other accessories can be used without the need to re-adjust accessory positions when changing between Premista lenses.
- The Premista19-45mm features a Flange Focal Distance adjustment function*7, allowing users to adjust the flange focal distance by simply rotating a ring on the lens barrel to correct shifts in the flange focal distance caused by rapid temperature changes at a shooting location.
- The focus ring has a full rotation of 280 degrees and provides smooth torque to enable precise focusing. Fluorescent paint is applied to index marks on the focus, zoom and iris rings so that these settings can be visibly checked even at night or in a dark room. The focus index can also be displayed in feet or meters.
- (5) Supporting ZEISS eXtended Data*8
- The new Premista19-45mm lens will support “ZEISS eXtended Data”, developed by Carl Zeiss in compliance with the “/i® Technology*9” communication standard. It allows users to record lens metadata for filmed footage as well as to correct lens distortion and peripheral light fall-off*10, supporting efficient video production by greatly lightening the burden of video editing after shooting.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.