A new ultra-wide angle zoom with weather resistance
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) is pleased to announce the launch of the FUJINON XF10-24mmF4 R OIS WR (XF10-24mmF4 R OIS WR) Lens, the 36th interchangeable lens designed for Fujifilm’s X Series digital camera system, which is also an update to the FUJINON XF10-24mmF4 R OIS Lens.
The XF10-24mmF4 R OIS WR is an ultra-wide zoom lens covering focal lengths from 10mm to 24mm (equivalent to 15mm – 36mm in the 35mm format) that utilizes the same optical design from the original XF10-24mm OIS lens to provide similar image-resolving performance and, similar to its predecessor, a maximum aperture of F4.0 across the zoom lens’s entire focal length range. Updated with an f-stop scale on its aperture ring, an Auto-position lock, and a new weather-resistant structure, this updated lens is sure to be a top choice among landscape and nature photographers who need an ultra-wide angle lens to withstand the elements. Additionally, the internal structure has also been redesigned to make the focus and zoom rings slimmer, which reduces the lens’ overall weight by 25 g (.88 oz). Lastly, Optical Image Stabilization has also been improved by 1 stop, bringing the total stabilization effect to 3.5 stops.
1. Product features
(1) A new weather-resistant design and some useability updates
- 1. Updated aperture ring with f-stop scale and Auto-position lock
The aperture ring has been updated with an f-stop scale to allow photographers to visually check what aperture the lens is set to, eliminating the need to check through the camera’s EVF or LCD Display. The ring also features an Auto-position lock, similar to that which is found on GF lenses, which prevents unexpected aperture ring movements, ultimately making use more efficient.
- 2. Added weather-resistance
This new lens is now both dust and moisture resistant, is able to operate in temperatures as low as -10 degrees Celsius (14°F), and now also weighs 25 grams less than the previous model despite the addition of this feature.
- 3. Improved optical image stabilization
A new, sophisticated gyro sensor used in this lens improves image stabilization by 1.0 stop, from the previous model, to 3.5 stops. When used with a more current X Series camera, like FUJIFILM X-T4, the lens and camera work together to achieve approximately 6.5 stops of 5-axis image stabilization.
- 4. Updated to a more slim and stylish design
The focus ring and the zoom ring have been reduced by 3mm and 2mm respectively compared to the previous model, creating a more compact and stylish design.
(2) Optical design that delivers advanced image resolving performance
- The new lens consists of 14 lens elements, including four aspherical elements and four extra-low dispersion elements, in 10 groups. The use of the aspherical elements reduces spherical aberration, field curvature and distortion, while the use of the extra-low dispersion elements corrects chromatic aberration, delivering enhanced edge-to-edge sharpness. Despite its compact form factor, the lens can maintain the maximum aperture of F4.0 across its focal length range from the ultra-wide-angle 10mm to wide-angle 24mm (equivalent to 15mm – 36mm in the 35mm format), while still allowing users to keep a constant f-stop value at any focal length .
- The front lens element is carefully coated to minimize ghosting, which tends to occur with the extremely concave elements normally found on an ultra-wide-angle zoom lens, and give a higher level of image sharpness and clarity.
- With a minimum working distance of just 24cm (9.5in), the lens is also suitable for macro-style photography. Use the lens close in on a subject, while also taking in the background at the same time, to create powerful images that take maximum advantage of ultra-wide-angle focal lengths.
(3) Fast and near-silent autofocus
The lens uses an internal focus system (*6) to achieve high-speed autofocusing capabilities. The use of lightweight focusing elements and a high-precision motor allows for fast and near-silent AF, even when using it with an X Series cameras’ Face / Eye AF functions.
2. Pricing and Availability
|Product name||Release date||Recommended retail price (excl. tax)|
|FUJINON Lens||XF10-24mmF4 R OIS WR||Late November 2020 yen|
Product name, release date and price
3. Main specification
|Type||FUJINON Lens XF10-24mmF4 R OIS WR|
|Lens configuration||14 elements in 10 groups (including four aspherical elements and four extra-low dispersion elements)|
|Focal length||f=10-24mm (equivalent to 15-36mm in the 35mm film format)|
|Angle of view||110° - 61.2°|
|Aperture control||Number of blades 7 (rounded diaphragm opening)
Step size 1/3EV (16 steps)
|Focus range||Standard: 0.5m～∞
|Max. magnification||0.16x (Telephoto end)|
|External dimensions: Diameter × Length (approx.)(Distance from camera lens mount flange)||φ78mm × 87mm (Wide-angle end) / 87mm (Telephoto end)|
|Weight (approx.) (excluding the lens cap)||385g|