TOKYO, September 2, 2021 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce the launch of the “FUJINON Lens GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR” (GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR) in November 30, 2021. It will be a new addition to the lineup of interchangeable GF lenses designed for GFX Series of mirrorless digital cameras, incorporating the large-format sensor*1, approximately 1.7 times larger than a full-frame 35mm sensor.
The GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR covers the most frequently-used focal length range from 35mm in wide angle to the standard 70mm (equivalent to 28mm-55mm in the 35mm format), producing premium-quality images in a wide variety of situations. It is the most compact and lightest in the GF zoom lenses to provide excellent portability. The highly portable form factor will broaden the scope of applications for GFX camera systems, including the FUJIFILM GFX50S II mirrorless digital camera announced today.
The new GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR lens has a focal length range from 35mm to 70mm (equivalent to 28mm-55mm in the 35mm format) and high resolution capabilities despite being the most compact and lightest in the GF zoom lenses, weighing approximately 390g and measuring 96.4mm (wide-angle end). The retractable barrel structure, which stores the lens barrel compactly, reduces the length to 73.9mm when fully collapsed for added portability. It would reduce the physical burden even when used as a walkaround lens, enabling casual hand-held shooting for snapshots, landscape photography and portraits. The lens can also take a close-up shot of a subject approximately 25cm from the front-most of the lens to accommodate a broad range of shooting situations such as photography of a meal on a table. The fast, silent and highly-accurate AF system attains focus on a targeted subject smoothly to capture every photo opportunity. The lens has a dust- and moisture-resistant structure and can operate at temperatures as low as -10°C, which enables users to continue shooting in light rain or dusty place.
Today, Fujifilm has unveiled the updated development roadmap for GF lenses*2, offering basic specifications for lenses to be added to the lineup including an ultra-wide-angle zoom, a large-diameter standard prime lens and a tilt & shift lens. With the 17-lens lineup presented in the roadmap that covers a wide shooting range, Fujifilm will continue to offer the joy of photography using the GFX Series.
1. Product features
(1) Advanced versatility that covers most frequently-used focal lengths to deliver superior-quality images in a wide variety of situations
- The GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR covers most frequently-used focal lengths from 35mm in wide angle to the standard 70mm (equivalent to 28mm-55mm in the 35mm format) to cater to a wide range of situations including snapshots, landscape and portraits.
- It enables a close-up shot of a subject approximately 25cm from the front-most of the lens. It takes advantage of the wide-angle framing of capturing the main subject in close-up against a broad spread of the background, as well as the standard angle of view that offers a natural perspective.
- The GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR consists of 11 elements, including one aspherical element and two ED elements, in nine groups to control spherical and chromatic aberrations well for high resolution capabilities. The design provides a precise description of a tiny subject in the background, even when it is shot on the wide-angle side.
(2) The most compact and lightest zoom lens in the GF zoom lenses
- The GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR is optically designed to balance image quality with portability to achieve the most compact and lightest in the GF zoom lenses, weighing approximately 390g and measuring 96.4mm (wide-angle end) with the filter thread size of 62mm. The retractable barrel structure, which stores the lens barrel compactly, reduces the length to 73.9mm when fully collapsed for added portability. Even when mounted on the FUJIFILM GFX50S II or FUJIFILM GFX100S, the combined weight comes to less than 1,300g, reducing the physical burden even when used as a walkaround lens to accommodate a casual shooting style.
(3) Fast, silent and highly-accurate AF and robust design for advanced mobility
- The lens uses the Inner Focus system, in which compact and lightweight focusing elements are driven with a stepping motor. When combined with FUJIFILM GFX100S’s phase detection AF, the lens can autofocus in as fast as 0.13 seconds*3, ensuring to capture the main subject. The lens also supports digital cameras’ Face / Eye Detection AF modes, capturing a momentary change in facial expressions, which makes it perfect choice for portraits that involves subject movements.
- The low operation noise during focusing makes it suitable not only for stills but also for video recording.
- The lens is weather-sealed at nine locations, making it dust- and moisture-resistant and capable of operating at temperatures as low as -10°C. It enables users to capture a decisive moment even in harsh conditions with light rain or dust.
2. Support information
The GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR features a manual retractable barrel structure. Before shooting, manually rotate the zoom ring to extend the barrel to the wide-angle 35mm position.
September 2, 2021
Updated: October 28, 2021
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division,
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.