Fujifilm Announces Rollout of FUJINON Broadcast Zoom Lenses Equipped with S10 Digital Drive Units
S10 update to 17 portable zooms supports modern remote shooting needs
June 14, 2021
Valhalla, N.Y. — FUJIFILM North America Corporation, Optical Devices Division, will gradually launch a series of 17 FUJINON broadcast portable zoom lenses featuring the newly developed S10 digital drive unit (“S10”) beginning at the end of June. As robotic systems are increasingly used to meet the needs of streamlining television production, the broadcast industry is calling for more precise and responsive lenses that also provide valuable positional zoom, focus, and iris data. Fujifilm’s new S10 not only meets those demands but provides a host of other advanced features.
The 17 FUJINON broadcast zoom lenses equipped with the S10 were developed with cutting-edge mechatronics engineering technology. These lenses have improved drive unit response to zoom and focus without delay even during pan and tilt operations. They use accurate and swift zooming and focusing, allowing camera operators to precisely capture fast-moving subjects during live sports broadcasts, while enabling ultra-slow and smooth zooming and focusing during live music coverage to deliver expressive video.
“The S10 is the most advanced servo drive ever built for handheld lenses,” said Thomas Fletcher, director of marketing, Optical Devices Division, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “Early feedback from robotic manufacturers after testing confirms that has confirmed that this new drive’s performance is comparable to, and in many cases exceeds, the performance of similar products from current market competitors.”
S10-equipped lenses can also output positional information on zoom, focus, and even iris, enabling high-precision position detection. This allows live video footage to be combined with virtual video, further catering to the growing demands of virtual video production. In addition, enhanced zoom and focus response helps camera operators shoot video exactly as intended, even when using the zoom demand/focus demand units or shooting with a shoulder-mounted camera.
Broadcast zoom lenses equipped with the newly developed S10 digital drive unit (17 models):
4K-compatible broadcast zoom lenses:
HD-compatible broadcast zoom lenses:
Features of broadcast zoom lenses equipped with the S10:
• The new lenses are equipped with the newly developed S10 digital drive unit, which has updated devices and optimized layout for faster signal processing and response performance. The S10 can activate zooming and focusing mechanisms 30% faster than its predecessor, ‘S6,’ making it possible to coordinate zooming and focusing movements without delay even during pan andtilt operations.
• The lenses support accurate and swift zooming and focusing to precisely capture a fast-moving subject during live sport broadcasts, while enabling ultra-slow and smooth zooming and focusing during live music coverage to deliver expressive video. Remote shooting based on the robotic system achieves high-quality video production equivalent to video recording captured with a videographer’s advanced skills.
Capable of outputting zoom, focus and iris positions at 16-bit
• The lenses can output positional information, providing not only zoom and focus positions but also iris positions.
• The 16-bit output of lens data allows operators to identify lens positions with high accuracy. This means live video footage can be combined with virtual video in optimum settings, thereby catering to the growing demand for virtual video production.
Automatic compensation of focus breathing
• The lenses feature “Breathing Compensation Technology” which automatically compensates focus breathing. This provides added operability, as there is no need to adjust the angle of view after focusing.
Excellent operability with the combination of digital zoom / focus demand unit
• The lenses offer precise zooming and focusing even when used in a conventional style by a camera operator. They can be combined with the digital zoom demand unit ‘ERD-40A-D01’ and digital focus demand unit ‘EPD-41A-D01/D02’ for excellent operability, assisting camera operators in capturing footage exactly as intended.
The compact, palm-sized S10 drive unit promotes exceptional stability when shooting with a shoulder-mounted camera. The drive unit is treated with tactile coating to prevent the surface temperature from dropping, thereby making outdoor shooting comfortable, even in winter.
Switchover of the extender at hand
• The optional extender change unit ‘ECU-2C’ and the digital zoom demand unit ‘ERD-40A-D01’ can be combined to enable the switchover of the extender at hand when using a jib/crane to shoot.
The new S10-equipped lenses are expected to begin shipping June 25, 2021 and will roll out gradually. Manufacturer’s suggested retail prices will range from $13,590 USD to $47,220 USD.
FUJIFILM North America Corporation, a marketing subsidiary of FUJIFILM Holdings America Corporation, consists of five operating divisions and one subsidiary company. The Imaging Division provides consumer and commercial photographic products and services, including: photographic paper; digital printing equipment, along with service and support; personalized photo products; film; one-time-use cameras; and the popular INSTAX™ line of instant cameras and accessories. The Electronic Imaging Division markets consumer digital cameras, lenses, and content creation solutions, and the Graphic Systems Division supplies products and services to the graphic printing industry. The Optical Devices Division provides optical lenses for the broadcast, cinematography, closed circuit television, videography and industrial markets, and also markets binoculars and other optical imaging solutions. The Industrial and Corporate New Business Development Division delivers new products derived from Fujifilm technologies. FUJIFILM Canada Inc. sells and markets a range of FUJIFILM products and services in Canada.
For more information, please visit https://www.fujifilm.com/us/en/about/region, go to https://www.twitter.com/fujifilmus to follow Fujifilm on Twitter, or go to https://www.facebook.com/FujifilmNorthAmerica to Like Fujifilm on Facebook.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation, Tokyo, Japan, brings cutting edge solutions to a broad range of global industries by leveraging its depth of knowledge and fundamental technologies developed in its relentless pursuit of innovation. Its proprietary core technologies contribute to the various fields including healthcare, highly functional materials, document solutions and imaging products. These products and services are based on its extensive portfolio of chemical, mechanical, optical, electronic and imaging technologies. For the year ended March 31, 2021, the company had global revenues of $21 billion, at an exchange rate of 106 yen to the dollar. Fujifilm is committed to responsible environmental stewardship and good corporate citizenship. For more information, please visit: https://www.fujifilmholdings.com.
# # #
All product and company names herein may be trademarks of their registered owners.
3E Public Relations