TOKYO, September 9, 2022 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) announces the launch of the “FUJINON Lens XF56mmF1.2 R WR” (XF56mmF1.2 R WR) in late September. The lens joins the line-up of XF lenses, interchangeable lenses for the X Series of lightweight and compact mirrorless digital cameras, renowned for their outstanding image quality based on Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology.
The XF56mmF1.2 R WR is a fast mid-telephoto prime lens with the focal length of 56mm (equivalent to 85mm in the 35mm film format). It succeeds the maximum aperture of F1.2, a popular feature of its predecessor “FUJINON Lens XF56mmF1.2 R” (previous model), while boasting significant improvement in image-resolving performance and close-up capability. The fast lens produces beautiful bokeh adding dimension to visual expressions.
The XF56mmF1.2 R WR consists 13 elements in eight groups, including two aspherical elements and one ED element. The design minimizes chromatic, spherical and comatic aberrations to provide higher image resolving performance than the previous model from Minimum Object Distance (MOD) to infinity. Its F1.2 maximum aperture produces a shallow depth-of-field to add an artistic flair to images. The surface of the aspherical lens elements is processed at high precision to reduce the onion-ring effect for beautiful bokeh. The minimum focusing distance has been reduced by approx. 20cm from the previous model to approx. 50cm*1, allowing users to go up close to the subject in portraiture as well as snapshots and tabletop photography.
The addition of the XF56mmF1.2 R WR enhances the lineup of XF lenses even further, broadening the coverage of photographic categories to enhance users’ photographic pleasure, provided by the X Series of mirrorless cameras equipped with the APS-C sensor.
1. Product features
(1) Outstanding image-resolving performance and beautiful bokeh
- The lens design, consisting of 13 elements in eight groups including two aspherical elements and one ED element, suppresses various types of aberration including chromatic aberration and spherical aberration to achieve edge-to-edge image sharpness and creamy bokeh that goes off-focus smoothly from the focal plane into the background.
- The focusing group contains a total of eight elements including three high refractive elements, typically used in cinema camera lenses, to suppress aberration fluctuation to maintain premium image quality from MOD to infinity.
- This is the first Fujifilm lens for mirrorless digital cameras to use 11 diaphragm blades to achieve a near-perfect circle in the aperture, better than the previous model. The aspherical elements are produced with a metal mold processed in advanced precision to the tune of one hundred-thousandth of a millimeter to suppress the onion-ring effect in bokeh, demonstrating Fujifilm’s commitment to creating beautiful bokeh.
(2) Mid-telephoto lens with improved close-up capability to cater to a wider variety of photographic situations
- The new lens, with the mid-telephoto 56mm focal length (equivalent to 85mm in the 35mm format) and the maximum aperture of F1.2, is a perfect choice for portraiture to give clear separation to the subject from its background.
- Minimum focusing distance has been reduced to just 50cm, some 20cm shorter than the previous model. The reduced distance constraint in relation to the subject allows users to enjoy a greater variety of photographic situations such as tabletop photography and snapshots.
(3) AF function driven by an evolved DC motor for fast and accurate autofocus
- The lens uses a DC motor, suitable for driving large elements. It can precisely drive the focusing group, consisting of eight elements and aperture unit, to autofocus on the subject quickly and accurately. The advanced autofocusing capability ensures to capture decisive photo opportunities even when shooting with a shallow depth-of-field.
- The use of a bearing mechanism has successfully reduced friction that arises when the DC motor is driving lens elements, thereby effectively reducing motor noise.
(4) Adopting dust and weather resistance and capability of operating at -10℃ for enhanced practical usability
- The lens is designed to take maximum advantage of the compact and lightweight “X Mount System”*2, weighting just 445g and measuring 76mm despite being a fast lens with the maximum aperture of F1.2. It reduces users’ strains in walking around with the lens mounted on a camera, adding an extra sense of mobility.
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed in nine places to ensure dust and weather resistance, and newly adopts the ability to operate at temperatures as low as -10℃. The front lens element is applied with fluorine coating to repel water and offer protection against stains. This means users can enjoy the lens with peace of mind to take photos outdoors in light rain or in dusty places.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division,
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.