TOKYO, May 24, 2023 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) announces the launch of “FUJIFILM XApp” (XApp)*1, a new app for use with the GFX / X Series of digital cameras. The app will be released for download on May 25, 2023.
The XApp is a new app that connects GFX / X Series digital cameras with a smartphone or tablet device so that users can remotely control the camera and transfer images taken by the camera to the connected device for viewing. It offers an advanced level of wireless communications stability and speed, an improvement from the current “FUJIFILM Camera Remote” app (Camera Remote). The new app’s substantially enhanced usability makes it much smoother to transfer images from a camera to a smartphone / tablet device. Images are transferred along with the shooting information such as the camera and lens used and the location of the photo shoot, which can be viewed in the app. The addition of a function that presents a day’s shooting activities in the form of a photo journal further broadens the appeals of the photographic experience provided by the GFX and X Series.
Fujifilm has worked on broadening the appeals of photography and boosting shooting convenience by offering the GFX / X Series, FUJINON interchangeable lenses and the Camera Remote app. In the latest move, the company has developed the new XApp, featuring enhanced functions and performance, to add greater convenience to users’ photographic experiences.
Compared to the previous Camera Remote app, the XApp provides more stable and faster wireless communications, making photo transfers from a camera to a smartphone / tablet much smoother. All communication operations can be completed on a smartphone / tablet with the exception of the initial bluetooth pairing between a camera and the app. This facilitates simplified operations for enhanced shooting experience.
The XApp allows users to remotely control a camera while checking the image of the camera’s rear LCD monitor on the smartphone / tablet device. Using the new “Backup/Restore” function, users can save camera settings*2 such as Shooting menu and setup configurations in the app. Saved camera settings can be sent and applied to the camera quickly and easily even during a photo shoot.
The XApp’s new functions include “Timeline*3,” which displays each day’s shooting activity data, including the camera and lens used, number of frames taken and shooting locations alongside each of the transferred images in chronological order in the photo journal format. Users can edit titles and notes to create a unique photo journal with a personal touch. Another new function is “Activity*3,” which automatically aggregates and displays the cumulative number of frames taken, the number of times the Film Simulation function is used and other cumulative numbers, making it possible to reflect on past shooting activities along with corresponding photos and data. These functions advocate new ways of enjoying photography.
Fujifilm will continue to develop and provide new products and services to further broaden the joy of photography with the GFX / X Series.
App for the GFX / X Series of digital cameras, “FUJIFILM XApp”
2. Compatible models and launch date
|Compatible models*4||Launch date|
|GFX Series||FUJIFILM GFX100S, FUJIFILM GFX50S II||May 25, 2023|
|X Series||FUJIFILM X-H2S, FUJIFILM X-H2, FUJIFILM X-Pro3,
FUJIFILM X-T5, FUJIFILM X-T4, FUJIFILM X-T3,
FUJIFILM X-T30 II, FUJIFILM X-T30, FUJIFILM X-S20,
FUJIFILM X-S10, FUJIFILM X-E4, FUJIFILM X100V
3. Supported OS
iOS / iPadOS 13, 14, 15, 16
Android OS 11, 12, 13
4. Main features
(1) Boosting the stability and speed of wireless communications, and simplifying operations for enhanced usability
- The app has been created with close attention to system design and connection procedure for wireless connectivity with cameras, smartphones and tablet devices. Images stored in a camera can be transferred to a smartphone or table device more smoothly.
- All communication operations can be completed on a smartphone / tablet with the exception of the initial bluetooth pairing between a camera and the app. Unifying the operations with cameras, smartphones and tablet devices and improving user convenience.
- The Image Transfer Order function makes it possible to transfer images in a camera to a smartphone or tablet device not only during the camera’s playback mode and when the camera is powered off, but also while taking pictures. This facilitates seamless posting and sharing of images on social media and messaging apps.
- The app has been updated with a high-contrast design in black and white as base tones. Text size has been increased to create a user interface with improved visibility.
(2) Wireless connectivity for ease of photo shooting
- The XApp allows users to remotely control the GFX / X Series while checking the image of the connected camera’s rear LCD monitor on a smartphone or tablet device. It is especially useful in situations that require remote controls, such as a group shot and time lapse. Some shooting settings such as aperture, ISO and shutter speed can also be configured from the smartphone or tablet device.
- Using the new “Backup/Restore” function, users can save camera settings such as shooting menu and setup configurations in the app or send them to the camera. Favorite camera settings for different subject type or shooting situations can be managed in the app and exported to a camera, making it quick and easy to change settings even during shooting. Camera settings can also be reflected to multiple cameras of the same model via the app, thus streamlining multi-camera shooting. Even if camera settings are accidentally changed during camera operation, settings saved in the camera can be applied for instant recovery.
- Smartphone’s date, time and geolocation information*5 are automatically synched with the connected camera, so that it displays accurate time and records accurate shooting location information.
(3) New functions facilitating reflection on shooting activities for expanding the joy of photography further
- The XApp features the Timeline function, which displays each day’s shooting activity data, including the camera and lens used, number of frames taken and shooting locations alongside each of the images transferred to the smartphone / tablet device, in the chronological order in the style of a photo journal. Users can edit titles and notes to create a unique photo journal with a personal touch. Maps in the Timeline function automatically reflect shooting location data, making it easy to reflect where all the photographs are taken.
- Another new function is “Activity,” which automatically aggregates and displays the cumulative number of frames taken, the number of times the Film Simulation function is used and other cumulative numbers. Users can look back on their shooting activities along with corresponding photos and data, further enhancing the joy of photography.
- The Timeline and Activity functions are useful for refining photographic techniques.
(4) Firmware Update Notification function for keeping the camera always up to date
- The app issues a notification each time a new firmware is released for the user’s camera. Follow instructions in the notification to easily keep the camera’s firmware up to date and enjoy the latest functions straight away.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division,
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.