Fujifilm launches FUJINON Lens XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR
-A large-diameter wide-angle interchangeable prime lens for the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras
-Superior resolution capabilities with fast and accurate AF to seize a decisive photo opportunity
-Dust and weather resistant and capable of operating at -10°C for advanced usability
September 2, 2021
TOKYO, September 2, 2021 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce the launch of the “FUJINON Lens XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR” (XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR) in November 2021. It will be a new addition to the lineup of interchangeable XF lenses for the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras, known for their compact and lightweight design and outstanding image quality based on Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology.
The XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR is a large-diameter wide-angle prime lens with the focal length of 23mm (equivalent to 35mm in the 35mm format). This is an upgrade of the current “FUJINON Lens XF23mmF1.4 R” (the previous model), enhancing resolution capabilities and AF speed while maintaining the fast F1.4 maximum aperture. The new model also boasts advanced usability with its dust and weather resistant construction and the capability to operate at temperatures as low as -10°C.
The XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR is a large-diameter wide-angle prime lens that consists of 15 lens elements, including two aspherical elements and three ED elements, in 10 groups, achieving enhanced resolution capabilities over the previous model. The maximum aperture of F1.4 produces shallow depth-of-field. The newly-adopted nine aperture blades also contributes to natural and creamy bokeh. The highly versatile focal length of 23mm makes it an ideal choice for landscape photography and snapshots. The minimum working distance of about 19cm provides close-up capability and enables a dynamic framing, capturing the main subject in close-up while keeping vast background into the frame. The lens also uses the Inner Focus system, driven by a newly-adopted linear motor, to deliver fast and highly accurate AF, attaining focus in as fast as 0.04 seconds*1 to seize a decisive photo opportunity. It also boasts advanced usability with its dust and weather resistant construction and the capability to operate at temperatures as low as -10°C.
In addition to the XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR, Fujifilm has today announced the launch of the FUJINON Lens XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR. Including the FUJINON Lens XF18mmF1.4 R LM WR, launched in May this year, a total of three lenses form a new-generation “large diameter prime” series with high resolution capabilities, catering to future advancement in image sensor resolutions. The development roadmap*2, also unveiled today, revealed basic specifications for a high-magnification zoom and an ultra-telephoto zoom, due to join the XF lens lineup in the future. The lineup of 40 interchangeable lenses, shown in the roadmap, will cover a broad range of shooting conditions, enhancing the joy of photo shooting with the X Series of mirrorless cameras.
1. Product features
(1) Superior resolution capabilities and beautiful bokeh
- The lens consists of 15 lens elements in 10 groups, including two aspherical elements and three ED elements, to effectively minimize chromatic aberration and spherical aberration. High resolution capabilities, improved from that of the previous model, captures the finest details of a photo subject in edge-to-edge sharpness. An aspherical element and an ED element are positioned closest to the mount while the focusing group containing the other aspherical element and two ED elements is positioned in the middle. The focusing group is driven together to reduce fluctuation of aberration attributable to changes in shooting distance.
- Boasting the maximum aperture of F1.4, the lens allows users to produce images that take advantage of its shallow depth-of-field. The use of nine aperture blades which produces nearly round shape bokeh effect, and reduced color casts in bokeh by well-controlled comatic aberration enables the natural and creamy bokeh.
(2) Dynamic framing with the wide-angle 23mm focal length
- This is a wide-angle lens that offers a highly versatile 23mm focal length (equivalent to 35mm in the 35mm format), making it a perfect choice for landscape photography and snapshots. The minimum working distance of about 19cm and the maximum magnification of 0.2x (equivalent to approx. 0.3x in the 35mm format), enable a dynamic framing that captures the main subject in close-up while keeping vast background into the frame.
(3) Newly adopting a linear motor for fast and highly accurate AF and weather-sealed construction
- The lens uses the Inner Focus system, in which a compact and lightweight focusing lens group is driven by a newly-adopted linear motor. The focusing group is designed to have a small range of movement to achieve a fast and highly accurate AF, attaining focus in as fast as 0.04 seconds to seize a decisive photo opportunity.
- The lens delivers silent and smooth focusing in the AF-C mode, frequently used when recording video. Fujifilm’s proprietary optical design technology has minimized changes in the angle of view during focusing (focus breathing), making the lens an ideal choice for video recording as well as still photo shooting.
- The focus ring can sense the amount of rotation very accurately to detect even the subtlest of fingertip operations for precise focusing.
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 11 locations so that it is dust and weather resistant and can be operated in temperatures as low as -10°C, accommodating snapshots in light rain, dusty conditions or astrophotography in cold winter nights.
(4) Compact design for added usability
- The use of smaller-diameter lens elements in the focusing group and optimized positioning of the linear motor have kept this lens compact, weighing approximately 375g and measuring approximately 77.8mm long with the filter thread size of 58mm. This reduces users’ load when they walk around with this lens, mounted on a camera.
- The A (auto) Position Lock offers reliable operation, locking the aperture ring in place to avoid any unintentional adjustment during shooting.
Lens hood LH-XF23 II
(designed for the FUJINON Lens XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR and FUJINON Lens XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR)
Together with the launch of the XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR, Fujifilm is releasing the rectangular-shaped Lens Hood LH-XF23 II. It helps reduce flairs and ghosting to capture clear pictures. The milled-aluminum design gives it a classical and stylish look. It can also be fitted to the XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR, announced today.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division,
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.