TOKYO, November 2, 2022 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) announces that it will launch of the mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-T5” (X-T5) sequentially after the middle of November, 2022. It is the latest addition to the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras known for their compact and lightweight body and superior image quality based on the company’s proprietary color reproduction technology.
X-T5 features the fifth-generation devices, i.e. the back-illuminated 40.2MP sensor “X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HR”*1 and the high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 5.” Its superior image quality and high mobility make it a perfect choice for still photography. The compact camera body, weighing just 557g*2, is equipped with advanced features including the five-axis in-body image stabilization (IBIS) of up to 7.0 stops*3, as well as AI-based subject-detection AF and high-speed AF. Other features include three dials: ISO, shutter speed and exposure compensation, and three-way tilting LCD monitor delivering greater comfort in photo shooting. The X-T5 will be a perfect companion to cover a wide variety of photographic genres from snapshots / documentary photography, in which its portability is a major asset, to landscape photography and portraiture, which demands superior image quality.
The X-T5 also features the back-illuminated 40.2MP sensor “X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HR” and the high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 5.” Superior image quality is made possible thanks to the Smooth Skin Effect, in which human skin tone is automatically re-touched, and AI-based high-precision auto white balance. The ability to use ISO125 as standard sensitivity and the high shutter speed of up to 1/180000 seconds provides diverse photographic expressions. The X-T5 boasts a compact body weighing approximately 557g, about 50g lighter than the previous model*4. Other features that facilitate high mobility include the five-axis IBIS of up to 7.0-stops, the AI-based subject detection AF for maintaining a focus on animals and birds, and high-speed AF to attain focus on a subject in as fast as 0.02 seconds.
The X-T5 inherits X-T Series’ signature Center Viewfinder style and dial operation. A 1.84-million-dot three-way tilting LCD monitor is equipped, which makes the shooting in vertical position or at waist level*5 more comfortable. Other features that add comfort to users’ experiences include the ability to record 10-bit 4:2:2 video at 6.2K/30P, the viewfinder magnification of 0.8x, 3.69-million-dot EVF and dual SD-card slots, catering to a wide range of user needs.
Fujifilm has taken the X Series into the fifth generation, introducing the X-H2S (in July this year) and the X-H2 (in September this year) featuring the new image sensor and the high-speed image processing engine. They are positioned as Fujifilm’s double-flagship models and marketed globally. By adding X-T5 which pursues high level of image quality and portability and is optimized for stills, the company continues to broaden the appeals of the X Series further.
1. Product features
(1) Carrying X Series’ fifth generation sensor “X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HR” to deliver superior image quality
- The X-T5 carries X Series’ fifth generation sensor, the back-illuminated 40.2MP “X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HR.” The use of an improved image processing algorithm delivers advanced image resolution without compromising the S/N ratio.
- The new sensor can take in more light efficiently thanks to its improved pixel structure, which means ISO125 is available as a standard sensitivity. Exposure time is controlled in high precision, allowing users to set the electronic shutter speed as fast as 1/180000 seconds. This means large-aperture lenses can be used wide open in a greater variety of conditions.
- The Smooth Skin Effect, which automatically smooths the skin tone, is also featured, reducing post-processing workload required in portrait photography, etc., so that images can be finished at a high degree of perfection much quicker than ever before.
- The X-T5 features Auto White Balance based on the Deep Learning technology. The AI technology accurately identifies warm light-bulb color cast to adjust white balance for improved accuracy.
- The X-T5 comes with 19 Film Simulation modes, including “Nostalgic Neg.,” characterized by high saturation and soft tonality. Users can use Film Simulation presets, designed for various subject types and scenes, as if they are choosing photographic films to suit the subject or situations.
- This camera features the Pixel Shift Multi-Shot function, which quadruples image resolution and produces accurate color reproduction. The IBIS mechanism is used to shift the image sensor at high precision to carry out automatic shooting of 20 frames in a single click of the shutter. The dedicated software “Pixel Shift Combiner” processes the captured frames to generate an image containing some 160 million pixels, ideal for commercial photography and digital archiving of cultural assets.
- The camera supports the HEIF format, which enables recording images with a rich 10-bit color depth despite being approximately 70% of the size of an equivalent JPEG file. It can store high-quality image data more efficiently.
(2) High-performance AF to accurately attain focus on the subject
- The X-T5 can autofocus in as fast as 0.02 seconds, ensuring to capture a decisive photo opportunity.
- The subject-detection AF, developed with Deep Learning technology, is capable of detecting animals, birds, cars, motorcycles, airplanes and trains with AI technology. The system automatically tracks a subject while maintaining focus, so that users can concentrate on shutter opportunities and framing.
- The X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HR sensor has a greater number of phase detection pixels than the previous model, resulting in an improved ability to attain AF-S*6 focus on a subject with high-frequency such as animal furs and fine leaves, enabling accurate focusing in landscape photography and portraiture. The use of an improved AF prediction algorithm offers stable focusing also in the AF-C mode*7.
(3) Hardware and design that delivers operational comfort to provide powerful support to users’ content creation
- The X-T5 features a five-axis IBIS of up to 7.0-stops. Users can shoot hand-held even in low light conditions such as nightscape photography.
- The X-T5 features three dials on the top panel for controlling ISO, shutter speed and exposure compensation. Users can check and change camera settings even before turning it on, bringing operational comfort.
- The 1.84-million-dot three-way tilting LCD monitor is newly equipped allowing the shooting in vertical position or at the waist level, frequently used when shooting stills.
- The camera is equipped with a high-magnification 3.69-million-dot EVF with 0.8x magnification. The viewfinder provides stellar visibility thanks to the improved suppression of parallax and distortion, which typically occurs when an eye position becomes displaced while using the viewfinder.
- Lightening the parts of IBIS and EVF has resulted in a compact body that weighs just 557g. This is coupled with the camera’s weather-resistant structure and ability to operate at temperatures as low as -10℃ to allow users to take the X-T5 into any conditions with peace of mind.
(4) Extensive video features including 6.2K/30P capability
- The X-T5 can record 10-bit 4:2:2 video at 6.2K/30P on an SD card inserted in the camera. It features the 4K HQ mode, which uses 6.2K over-sampling to produce high-quality 4K video. The dual memory card slots for SD cards is also featured to deliver video in superior image resolution.
- The X-T5 features F-Log2 for recording video in enriched tonality, adding freedom in post-production creativity.
- Combined with a compatible HDMI recording device, ATMOS NINJA V+*8 or Blackmagic Design’s Video Assist 12G*9, 12-bit RAW video output from X-T5 can be recorded as Apple ProRes RAW*10 or Blackmagic RAW at resolutions and frame rates of up to 6K and 30 frames per second.
2. Optional accessories
Hand grip “MHG-XT5” (for X-T5)
- This grip substantially improves users’ ability to hand-hold the camera even when a large-aperture lens is mounted, thereby reducing motion blur. The hand grip does not have to be removed to change a battery or SD card. The base can be used as a plate compatible with the Arca-Swiss quick release system.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division,
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.