Fujifilm launches mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM GFX50S II”
-New GFX Series mirrorless digital camera equipped with a large-format sensor approximately 1.7 times larger than a 35mm full-frame sensor
-A compact and lightweight body packing a 51.4MP sensor and a powerful image stabilization for excellent mobility
-Rich tonality and beautiful bokeh further expanding the joy of shooting superior-quality images
September 3, 2021
TOKYO, September 2, 2021 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Teiichi Goto) is pleased to announce that the “FUJIFILM GFX50S II” (GFX50S II) will be released in late September 2021 as the latest addition to the GFX Series of mirrorless digital cameras incorporating the large-format sensor*1 approximately 1.7 times larger than a 35mm full-frame sensor. The GFX50S II is equipped with the 51.4MP image sensor and the powerful in-body image stabilization (IBIS) mechanism in a compact and lightweight body weighing approximately 900g*2. Its high-performance AF, based on the use of a high-speed image processing engine, gives the camera a excellent mobility.
The GFX50S II is a mirrorless digital camera that allows more people to enjoy the photographic world of ultra-high image quality, achieved by the large-format sensor’s rich tonality and ability to render the background out of focus beautifully.
Fujifilm released the FUJIFILM GFX 50S in 2017 as the first model in the GFX Series of mirrorless digital cameras and has since expanded the lineup to pioneer a market for mirrorless digital cameras using a image sensor larger than a 35mm full-frame sensor. The GFX Series has won high acclaim for its image quality and mobility from professional photographers and photography enthusiasts.
The latest GFX50S II, to be released this time, is a mirrorless digital camera equipped with the 51.4MP sensor in a compact and lightweight body weighing approximately 900g. It has a larger light-receiving area per pixel than digital cameras*3 with the 35mm full-frame sensor, producing rich tonality and clear images with minimal noise even in low-light conditions. Combination of its high resolution capabilities of capturing the finest detail and beautiful bokeh achieved with the ability to deliver a shallow depth of field creates three-dimensional definitions of the subject. The camera has a powerful five-axis IBIS mechanism that provides up to 6.5 stops*4 of anti-shake advantage to compensate for camera shake during hand-held shooting and minimize motion blur in low light or in settings where a tripod cannot be used. The use of the high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 4” and the latest algorithm adds extra performance to AF, attaining focus on the subject quickly and accurately.
The GFX50S II is a mirrorless digital camera of excellent mobility with an image sensor larger than a 35mm full-frame sensor, rewriting the previous standards for digital cameras. When mounted with a compact and lightweight kit lens “FUJINON Lens GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR, the camera produces superior-quality images in a broad range of shooting situations.
Fujifilm will continue to offer the joy of photography with the GFX Series including the GFX50S II, the X Series of APS-C sensor cameras and an extensive range of interchangeable lenses.
1. Product features
(1) Superior image quality delivered with the use of a 51.4MP large-format sensor
- GFX50S II is a mirrorless digital camera equipped with a 51.4MP large-format sensor. It has a larger light-receiving area per pixel than digital cameras with the 35mm full-frame sensor, achieving wide dynamic range and high signal-to-noise ratio. This controls highlight and shadow clipping for rich tonality and delivers clear images with minimal noise to capture the main subject’s texture and even the atmosphere of the scene.
- The camera uses a unique design based on smaller light micro lenses on the sensor, boosting light resolution per pixel for added image sharpness. When combined with a FUJINON GF lens that can maximize the sensor’s performance, the camera can capture details of the subject.
- The ability of the large-format sensor to produce a very shallow depth of field renders background out of focus beautifully, adding three-dimensional definitions to the subject as the photographer intended.
(2) Featuring 19 Film Simulation modes for diverse color presentation
- The GFX50S II comes with 19 Film Simulation modes, including “Nostalgic Neg.,” characterized by high saturation and soft tonality. Film Simulation presets, designed for various subject types and scenes, can be used as if choosing between rolls of different photographic films, while checking how they affect the final image in live view, thereby reducing editing workload after a photo shoot.
(3) Compact and lightweight body for advanced mobility
- The use of the compact IBIS mechanism and shutter unit has been combined with optimized layout of various devices to achieve a compact and lightweight body, weighing approximately 900g and measuring 104.2mm in height and 87.2mm in depth.
- The grip has been shaped so that the camera sits comfortably in the hand, ensuring comfort by significantly reducing hand strain when using a large zoom lens.
- The casing is made of highly rigid magnesium alloy. Added thickness around the base of the lens mount, which is subject to greater load in particular, has made the camera body highly robust. The GFX50S II is also weather-sealed at 60 locations to offer dust- and moisture-resistance and ability to operate in temperatures as low as -10℃ for exceptional ruggedized performance, expanding the world of superior-quality images.
(4) Five-axis IBIS mechanism that offers up to 6.5-stops to assist hand-held shooting
- The GFX50S II features a powerful five-axis IBIS mechanism that provides up to 6.5 stops of advantage, based on the use of high-performance gyro sensor and accelerometer. This facilitates hand-held shooting in low light or in settings where a tripod cannot be used, making it easy to take pictures with minimal camera shake.
(5) High-performance AF that attains accurate focus quickly
- The GFX50S II delivers high-performance AF thanks to the high-speed image processing engine “X-Processor 4” and the latest algorithm. This is coupled with the powerful IBIS mechanism to ensure that the focus is attained quickly and accurately in a wide variety of situations.
- The camera’s refresh rate is twice as fast as the previous model*5 to boost the accuracy of the Face / Eye Detection AF. The camera’s large-format sensor requires advanced focus accuracy due to its shallow depth of field, but the AF system can capture a split-second photographic expression of the main subject, assisting users greatly when shooting portraits with movement.
(6) Easy operability for a smooth shooting experience
- The top panel features the Mode dial, typically seen in many digital cameras, so that even the first-time users of the GFX Series can handle the camera easily. The dial offers six customizable positions C1 - C6, allowing users to register their choice of functions to each of the positions and activate them quickly for a smooth photo shoot.
- There is a selector on the top panel to instantly switch between the still and video modes for added convenience.
- The use of a flat-shaped Focus Lever reduces physical discomfort even after extended use. It responds with enhanced sensitivity when moving the focus point, allowing users to attain focus at the intended location quickly.
- The 1.8-inch sub LCD monitor with excellent visibility is found on the top panel, displaying key EXIF settings such as shutter speed, aperture, ISO sensitivity and exposure. Additional information displayed includes the number of frames remaining when shooting stills and the filming duration when recording video. The display can be customized for added convenience.
- On the rear panel is a 3.2-inch main LCD monitor with 100% coverage. It can tilt in three directions to enable high- and low-angle shooting, for which the electronic viewfinder (EVF) cannot be easily used.
(7) Featuring the Pixel Shift Multi-Shot function, perfect for digital archiving
- The GFX50S II features the Pixel Shift Multi-Shot function, which enables 4x resolution and accurate color reproduction. This is a perfect choice for digital archiving, as the function enables reproduction of colors and textures for cultural assets such as artworks and historical artifacts in superior definition of 200MP images.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division,
Public Relations Group
lease contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.