TOKYO, March 8, 2023 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) announces the launch of INSTAX mini 12 (mini 12) , a new entry model of the INSTAX series of instant cameras, allowing users to enjoy on-the-spot photo printing. It will be available in Japan on March 16, 2023 and in other countries on that day or later in sequence. The mini 12 is an evolved version of the globally-popular INSTAX mini 11 (mini 11), and a perfect instant camera for close-up shots and selfies, incorporating functions that make it easier than ever before to capture various scenes.
The mini 12’s balloon-like design expresses the fun packed into the INSTAX, which allows users to produce photo prints on the spot, a unique feature of INSTAX. The lineup of five light-toned colors offers a variety of colors to suit each individual's style.
The mini 12 features the “Automatic Exposure,” a popular function of the predecessor mini 11 launched in May 2020, in which the camera automatically determines the correct exposure for a given scene. Rotating the lens one step activates the “Close-up mode,” perfect for close-up shots and selfiles. This is the first entry-level INSTAX to feature a function that prevents discrepancies between the viewfinder field and the actual printout area in close-ups, allowing anyone to enjoy taking a close-up shot as intended. When taking a selfie, the “Selfie Mirror” beside the lens can be used to check the composition of a finished print while shooting.
Fujifilm will also release camera cases for mini 12 in colors matching the model’s body tones, as well as INSTAX mini film albums.
With the launch of mini 12, Fujifilm has started offering the smartphone app “INSTAX UP!”*1, which can scan INSTAX prints taken with INSTAX cameras or ouput from a smarphone printers, and save them including frames as digital data in the smartphone. INSTAX UP! can capture INSTAX prints’ signature soft touch faithfully and convert them into digital data with ease. A digitized print can be combined with a favorite background, using intuitive operations common for smartphone apps, to create a collection of very original INSTAX prints. This app makes it easy to view precious INSTAX prints on a smartphone anytime and anywhere, or post a created collection to social media directly from within the INSTAX UP! App for instantaneous sharing with friends, a new way of enjoying INSTAX prints.
The INSTAX series of instant cameras, launched in 1998 and affectionately known as “Cheki” in Japan for many years, can not only allow users to print a precious moment on the spot, but also act as a new communication tool or tool of self expression for conveying inner sentiments.
Fujifilm will continue to broaden the world of the INSTAX instant photo system, which can print photos immediately taken on the spot.
1. Product names, release date and pricing
|(1) Instant camera “INSTAX mini 12”
|March 16, 2023
|(2) Camera case for the INSTAX mini 12
|(3) INSTAX mini film album
(1) Instant camera INSTAX mini 12 (available in 5 colors)
(2) Camera case for the INSTAX mini 12
(3) INSTAX mini film album
2. Main features
(1) Camera design that packs the fun of INSTAX
- A balloon-like design expresses the fun packed into the INSTAX producing photo prints on the spot, a unique feature of INSTAX.
- Available in five light toned colors, namely Lilac Purple, Pastel Blue, Blossom Pink, Mint Green, and Clay White.
- At the top right of the main body is the combination of the INSTAX logo and the model name, presented stylishly. Embossed characters are used around the lens, showing Fujifilm’s attention to design details.
(2) “Automatic Exposure” function for attaining optimum exposure settings for any scenes
- The “Automatic Exposure” function automatically senses the level of ambient light when the shutter button is pressed, and optimizes the shutter speed and flash output according to given conditions. The camera can take photos optimally exposed to the main subject and the background in a variety of situations including bright outdoors, low-light indoors, close-ups and selfies.
(3) “Close-up mode” for enjoying close-up shots and selfies easily
- Rotating the lens one step activates the “Close-up mode,” perfect for close-up shots and selfiles. The quick access to this function ensures that users never miss a shutter chance.
- This is the first entry-level INSTAX that features the function of adjusting the viewfinder field of view to match the actual printout area in close-up shots (parallax adjustment). Users can easily enjoy close-up shots without having to shift the center point seen through the viewfinder.
- When taking a selfie, the “Selfie Mirror” beside the lens can be used to check the composition of a finished print while shooting.
(4) Faster printout from the point of pressing the shutter
When taking a picture, an INSTAX print is output in just five seconds from the time of pressing the shutter button*2.
3. Promotional campaign for the INSTAX mini 12
The mini 12 will be promoted mainly on the website, social media and at retail stores under the tagline of “Fill Your World with Joy,” reflecting the model’s unique design that evokes a sense of fun by just looking at it, and the instant camera’s ability to produce INSTAX prints by pressing the shutter button. The smartphone app “INSTAX UP!,” released at the same time, will be also promoted on the website, etc. as a new way of enjoying INSTAX involving scanning INSTAX prints, compiling them into a collection and sharing it.
4. About INSTAX
The “INSTAX” series of instant cameras, launched in 1998, marks its 25th anniversary in 2023. Originating from Japan, INSTAX has evolved into a global brand marketed in over 100 countries worldwide, including Europe, Americas, China and Southeast Asia. “INSTAX” are enjoyed not only for their ability to print a precious moment on the spot but also as a new communication tool or tool of self expression for conveying inner sentiments. The customer base is rapidly increasing with the expansion of product lineup, including analog instant cameras, hybrid instant cameras that are equipped with a rear monitor and allow users to choose a picture to print, and smartphone printers for printing images in a smartphone with ease. Fujifilm has actively promoted collaboration in far-reaching fields globally including fashion, music, sports and games. In sports, the company is a named sponsor of the international breaking competition, “FUJIFILM INSTAX Undisputed Masters,” for broadly appealing the value of INSTAX.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division,
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm Office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please across the following website.