TOKYO, September 9, 2022 – FUJIFILM Corporation (President and CEO, Representative Director: Teiichi Goto) announces the launch of the “FUJINON Lens GF20-35mmF4 R WR” (GF20-35mmF4 R WR) in late September 2022. It will be a new addition to the lineup of interchangeable GF lenses designed for the GFX Series of mirrorless digital cameras, incorporating a large-format sensor*1 approximately 1.7 times larger than a full-frame 35mm sensor.
The GF20-35mmF4 R WR is a zoom lens that covers the focal length of 20mm (equivalent to 16mm in the 35mm film format), the widest in GF lens series, to extend the wide-angle end of photographic categories. When mounted on the GFX Series of digital cameras, this lens brings out the full potential of the cameras’ large format sensor to deliver high image quality. Furthermore, by making use of the ultra-wide-angle (UWA) of view, users can precisely capture information-dense scenes such as wilderness landscape and cityscape that spreads out in front of their eyes.
The GF20-35mmF4 R WR covers the focal length range from the UWA 20mm to the wide-angle 35mm (equivalent to 16mm – 28mm in the 35mm film format). It consists of 14 lens elements in ten groups, including three aspherical elements, one aspherical ED element and three ED elements to suppress distortion and chromatic aberration. The lens is also applied with the Nano GI coating to effectively control ghosting and lens flair to achieve image clarity. While UWA zoom lenses tend to be large and heavy, this model has been kept compact and light, weighing about 725g and measuring about 112.5mm for exceptional mobility. It offers a constant F4 maximum aperture across the focal length range for added convenience. Furthermore, the use of the versatile 82mm filter size broadens the scope of visual expressions by attaching a wide variety of filters.
The GF20-35mmF4 R WR is designed to offer more comfortable shooting experience for landscape photographers, who spend many hours outdoors in search for expansive views. It is also suited for shooting a full view of a small room in limited space, taking advantage of wide-angle lenses’ unique perspective or capturing scenes in a documentary style.
Having 15 lens lineup including GF20-35mmF4 R WR and an extensive range of accessories, Fujifilm will continue to offer shooting pleasure with GFX Series, covering photographic categories from UWA to ultra-telephoto.
1. Product features
(1) Zoom lens that extends the wide-angle reach of GF lenses, which pursue high image quality
- The GF20-35mmF4 R WR is a zoom lens that covers the focal length of 20mm (equivalent to 16mm in the 35mm film format), the widest in GF lens series. It is capable of capturing information-dense scenes precisely such as wilderness landscape and cityscape that spreads out in front of their eyes and taking pictures that take advantage of wide-angle perspective.
- The lens consists of 14 lens elements in ten groups, including a total of seven aspherical elements and ED elements, to suppress distortion and chromatic aberration to deliver excellent image-resolving performance. It can capture all information, broadly captured in the wide-angle frame, and deliver it in high-definition description.
- The lens is applied with Fujifilm’s unique NANO GI coating, which seamlessly changes incoming light’s refractive index as it enters into the lens to mitigate light reflection. A special coating is also applied to the concave surface of lens elements with large curvature to even out their film thickness in order to reduce ghosting and lens flair, typical of wide-angle lenses.
(2) Compact and lightweight design for advanced mobility
- The GF20-35mmF4 R WR features optimized structure of lens elements and makes maximum use of short flange focal distance, typical of mirrorless digital cameras. Despite being an UWA zoom with maximum aperture of F4.0 across the zoom range, the lens has been kept lightweight and compact, weighing about 725g and measuring about 112.5mm in length. This reduces the strain of users when they carry a camera mounted with this lens.
- The lens uses the versatile 82mm filter size, so that users can attach a variety of filters when enjoying landscape photography, etc.
- Magnesium alloy is used for components to make the lens lightweight and robust at the same time. The shape of components has been updated to keep the lens barrel slim, making it easier holding the lens.
- The lens uses the Inner Zoom system to keep its length constant, making it lightweight and comfortable to zoom.
(3) Robust design with dust and weather resistance and capability of operating at -10℃
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed in 12 places to ensure dust and weather resistance, and has the ability to operate at temperatures as low as -10℃. The front lens element is applied with fluorine coating to repel water and offer protection against stains. This means users can enjoy the lens with peace of mind to take photos in tough conditions including snowfield and tropics or in rough weather.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation
Corporate Communications Division,
Public Relations Group
Please contact your nearest Fujifilm office.
For information on Fujifilm subsidiaries and distributors, please access the following website.