Fujifilm Announces FUJINON GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR Lens
September 2, 2021
Valhalla, N.Y. – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of FUJINON GF35-70mmF4.5-5.6 WR lens (GF35-70mm), an interchangeable lens for the FUJIFILM GFX System of large-format cameras.
GF35-70mm is a compact and lightweight zoom lens, weighing approximately 13.7 ounces (390g), with outstanding image-resolving performance and focal length range. The highly portable form factor broadens the scope of applications for GFX System cameras equipped with a large format sensor*1.
“GF35-70mm is a new concept, portable zoom for the GFX System, combining excellent versatility with mobility and portability,” says Victor Ha, senior director of marketing and product development for FUJIFILM North America Corporation’s Electronic Imaging Division. “It’s rugged, yet lightweight design is combined with its incredible adaptability to make it an invaluable part of any photographer’s gear.”
Advanced versatility that covers the focal lengths required to capture day-to-day scenes
• GF35-70mm covers versatile focal lengths from 35mm in wide angle to the standard 70mm (equivalent to 28mm-55mm in the 35mm film format) to cater to a wide range of photography situations, including landscape, portraiture and street photography. At 35cm, the lens features the second shortest minimum working distance among interchangeable lenses for the GFX System, enabling a close-up shot of a subject approximately 25cm from the front-most element of the lens. This means it has a broad shooting range, from the dynamic wide-angle framing to the standard framing style with a natural perspective.
• GF35-70mm consists of 11 elements, including one aspherical element and two extra-low dispersion (ED) elements, in nine groups. Its advanced image-resolving capability, with well-controlled spherical and chromatic aberrations, provides precise depiction of each scene.
The most compact and lightest-weight body among GF lenses offering high-speed autofocus (AF) and advanced mobility
• GF35-70mm is optically designed to balance image quality with compact portability, weighing approximately 13.7 ounces (390g) and measuring 73.9mm (when retracted)*2 with the filter thread size of 62mm, an impressive achievement for a standard zoom designed for large-format sensor cameras. Even when mounted on the FUJIFILM GFX100S or FUJIFILM GFX50S II mirrorless digital cameras, the combined weight is less than 3 pounds (about 1,300g).
• The compact and lightweight focusing elements are driven with a stepping motor for fast and accurate AF performance, attaining focus on a subject nearly instantaneously to capture the perfect moment. Whisper-quiet AF makes it suitable not only for stills but also for video recording.
• The lens also supports the GFX System’s Face / Eye Detection AF modes. Fast and highly-accurate AF is achieved in as quickly as 0.13 seconds in near-silence for near-instantaneous focusing on the main subject’s face / eyes*3.This is particularly effective in portraiture that involves subject movements, permitting a momentary change in facial expressions to be captured.
• The lens is weather-resistant at 9 locations, and can be used with weather-resistant GFX System cameras in temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C). The lens withstands rain even when it is mounted on the camera for hand-held shooting, providing shutter opportunities in the toughest of conditions.
This lens uses a manual retractable barrel structure. Before shooting, manually rotate the zoom ring to extend the barrel to the wide-angle 35mm position, which is the barrel’s default position.
GF35-70mm is currently expected to be available late November, 2021, at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $999.95 USD ($1,250 CDN). For more information, please visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/lenses/gf35-70mmf45-56-wr/.
*1 A large-format camera contains an image sensor measuring 55mm diagonally (43.8mm x 32.9mm), with the area approx. 1.7 times that of a full-frame 35mm sensor
*2 The lens measures approx. 96.4mm when fully extended.
*3 When in the Phase Detection AF mode on the FUJIFILM GFX100S; Compliant with the CIPA guidelines
FUJIFILM North America Corporation, a marketing subsidiary of FUJIFILM Holdings America Corporation, consists of five operating divisions and one subsidiary company. The Imaging Division provides consumer and commercial photographic products and services, including: photographic paper; digital printing equipment, along with service and support; personalized photo products; film; one-time-use cameras; and the popular INSTAX™ line of instant cameras and accessories. The Electronic Imaging Division markets consumer digital cameras, lenses, and content creation solutions, and the Graphic Systems Division supplies products and services to the graphic printing industry. The Optical Devices Division provides optical lenses for the broadcast, cinematography, closed circuit television, videography and industrial markets, and also markets binoculars and other optical imaging solutions. The Industrial and Corporate New Business Development Division delivers new products derived from Fujifilm technologies. FUJIFILM Canada Inc. sells and markets a range of FUJIFILM products and services in Canada.
For more information, please visit https://www.fujifilm.com/us/en/about/region, go to https://www.twitter.com/fujifilmus to follow Fujifilm on Twitter, or go to https://www.facebook.com/FujifilmNorthAmerica to Like Fujifilm on Facebook.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation, Tokyo, Japan, brings cutting edge solutions to a broad range of global industries by leveraging its depth of knowledge and fundamental technologies developed in its relentless pursuit of innovation. Its proprietary core technologies contribute to the various fields including healthcare, highly functional materials, document solutions and imaging products. These products and services are based on its extensive portfolio of chemical, mechanical, optical, electronic and imaging technologies. For the year ended March 31, 2021, the company had global revenues of $21 billion, at an exchange rate of 106 yen to the dollar. Fujifilm is committed to responsible environmental stewardship and good corporate citizenship. For more information, please visit: https://www.fujifilmholdings.com
All product and company names herein may be trademarks of their registered owners.
Fujifilm North America Corporation