Fujifilm Announces FUJINON XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR Lens
September 2, 2021
Valhalla, N.Y. – FUJIFILM North America Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of its FUJINON XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR lens (XF23mmF1.4), a new addition to the lineup of interchangeable XF lenses designed for the X Series of mirrorless digital cameras, known for outstanding image quality based on Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology. The product is a new generation of the popular FUJINON XF23mmF1.4 R lens (a previously introduced model), featuring an extensive overhaul of optical performance.
“XF23mmF1.4 is a new generation, large-aperture prime lens that provides exceptional image sharpness even when wide open at F1.4,” said Victor Ha, senior director of marketing and product development for FUJIFILM North America Corporation, Electronic Imaging Division. “With fast autofocus performance that delivers high accuracy in stills and video, this lens has the capability and versatility to accommodate even the most challenging photographic situations.”
XF23mmF1.4 is designed to support anticipated future camera sensors that offer further enhanced resolution. The use of nine aperture blades ensures a nearly round shaped bokeh effect even around the maximum aperture.
The lens is easy to handle, weighing approximately 13 ounces (375g) and measuring approximately 3 inches (77.8mm) long with the filter thread size of 58mm. When used with a weather-resistant X Series camera, the durable, weather-resistant design affords optimal mobility while delivering the advanced optical performance expected of large-aperture lenses, in an extensive range of shooting conditions.
New generation resolution performance with edge-to-edge sharpness when wide open at F1.4
• The XF23mmF1.4 lens consists of 15 lens elements, including two aspherical elements and three extra-low dispersion (ED) elements, in 10 groups to effectively minimize both chromatic and spherical aberration, delivering edge-to-edge sharpness even when wide open. A two-element lens group including an aspherical lens at the far end nearly eliminates fluctuation of aberration caused by the movements of focusing elements, securing extremely high image quality across all focusing ranges.
• Boasting a maximum aperture of F1.4, the lens allows users to produce high-quality pictures with minimal camera shake and digital noise even in low light conditions such as dark indoor spaces and nightscapes. At F1.4, the lens provides a shallow depth-of-field to render background out-of-focus for creamy bokeh, adding a clear contrast and three-dimensional definitions to sharply focus the main subject on the focal plane. Comatic aberration is also well-controlled to capture small light sources as round points, avoiding bokeh color casts in the background.
Popular wide-angle focal length and broad shooting range
• XF23mmF1.4 offers a popular and highly-versatile focal length of 23mm (equivalent to 35mm in the 35mm film format) with a minimal working distance of 19cm and a maximum magnification of 0.2x. The close-up capability enables a dynamic framing characteristic of wide-angle lenses, capturing the main subject in close-up while bringing a unique spread of background into the frame. Users enjoy flexibility without worrying about their distance from the main subject.
Near-Silent, fast and highly-accurate autofocus (AF)
• The lightweight design of XF23mmF1.4’s focusing lens group is driven by a linear motor, resulting in near-silent, fast and highly-accurate AF. The AF is achieved with the Inner Focus system, which keeps the range of movements for the focusing lens group small, while precisely controlling the amount of focusing required within the range. The focus is attained in as fast as 0.04 seconds when mounted on an X Series camera, ensuring that users do not miss a decisive photo opportunity.*1
• The lens maintains focus highly accurately even in the AF-C mode, and is also optically designed to minimize changes in angle of view caused by focus breathing, to approximately 0.011%, making it an ideal choice for video recording.
• The mechanism that drives the six-element focusing group together minimizes fluctuation of aberration caused by focusing, producing clear and crisp images at all focus positions from close-up to distant.
Advanced mobility based on compact, lightweight and weather-resistant construction
• XF23mmF1.4 is compact and lightweight, weighing approximately 13 ounces (375g) and measuring approximately 3 inches (77.8mm) long, with the filter thread size of 58mm. The external diameter of the focusing lens group is kept small to accommodate the linear motor in the space created to achieve a slimline design.
• The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 11 locations so that it is dust and weather resistant and can be used with the user’s weather-resistant X Series camera at temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C), accommodating snapshots in a variety of external conditions seamlessly.
• The focus ring has an improved control resolution compared to the prior version, for greater control, especially during manual focusing at a shallow depth-of-field. The gear pitch inside the focus ring is carefully designed for sophisticated movement detection capability, enabling linear focusing that responds precisely to even the subtlest of fingertip movements.
• The A (auto) Position Lock offers reliable operation, locking the aperture ring in place to avoid any unintentional adjustment during shooting.
• The shape of knurling on the focus ring is carefully designed to make it easy to remove dirt stuck in grooves.
XF23mmF1.4 R LM WR is expected to be available in late November, 2021, at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $899 USD ($1,125 CDN). Additionally, the LH-XF23 II lens hood, designed to fit both the XF33mmF1.4 and XF23mmF1.4 lenses, will be offered as an optional accessory, at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $69 USD ($80 CDN). For more information, visit https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/lenses/xf23mmf14-r-lm-wr/ .
*1 When mounted on “FUJIFILM X-T4” mirrorless digital camera with Phase Detection AF activated and the High Performance Mode turned ON.
FUJIFILM North America Corporation, a marketing subsidiary of FUJIFILM Holdings America Corporation, consists of five operating divisions and one subsidiary company. The Imaging Division provides consumer and commercial photographic products and services, including: photographic paper; digital printing equipment, along with service and support; personalized photo products; film; one-time-use cameras; and the popular INSTAX™ line of instant cameras and accessories. The Electronic Imaging Division markets consumer digital cameras, lenses, and content creation solutions, and the Graphic Systems Division supplies products and services to the graphic printing industry. The Optical Devices Division provides optical lenses for the broadcast, cinematography, closed circuit television, videography and industrial markets, and also markets binoculars and other optical imaging solutions. The Industrial and Corporate New Business Development Division delivers new products derived from Fujifilm technologies. FUJIFILM Canada Inc. sells and markets a range of FUJIFILM products and services in Canada.
For more information, please visit https://www.fujifilm.com/us/en/about/region, go to https://www.twitter.com/fujifilmus to follow Fujifilm on Twitter, or go to https://www.facebook.com/FujifilmNorthAmerica to Like Fujifilm on Facebook.
FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation, Tokyo, Japan, brings cutting edge solutions to a broad range of global industries by leveraging its depth of knowledge and fundamental technologies developed in its relentless pursuit of innovation. Its proprietary core technologies contribute to the various fields including healthcare, highly functional materials, document solutions and imaging products. These products and services are based on its extensive portfolio of chemical, mechanical, optical, electronic and imaging technologies. For the year ended March 31, 2021, the company had global revenues of $21 billion, at an exchange rate of 106 yen to the dollar. Fujifilm is committed to responsible environmental stewardship and good corporate citizenship. For more information, please visit: https://www.fujifilmholdings.com
All product and company names herein may be trademarks of their registered owners.
Fujifilm North America Corporation